Views
Helpful
Replies

IP phone integration,Qos

Shibu1978
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

We are planning to implement IP phones in our network(attached the switch-diagram). Right now we have the following switches configured as our Access layer switches.all are cisco 2950 switches but in some switches there is a slight change in the IOS version. all switches are configured as VTP client.

We have only one Core & Distribution switch serve in our network which is a 4507 Switch.this switch has been configured as VTP server.Intervlan communication is happening through this switch.(IOS (tm) Catalyst 4000 L3 Switch Software (cat4000-I5S-M), Version 12.2(20)EWA,cisco WS-C4507R (MPC8245)

Right now clients are connected to this access layer switches and receiving ip through DHCP server which is our active directory.while configuring voice vlan can we still use our active directory as our DHCP server for this vlan? is a native Vlan must for Voice traffic? any changes or modification needed in current spanning-tree configuration.

Can we implement IP phones in the following switches and configure QOS for this voice traffic.Can i have some sample configurations and design docs.

5th floor-01

============

IOS (tm) C2950 Software (C2950-I6Q4L2-M), Version 12.1(13)EA

Model number: WS-C2950G-48-EI

5th Floor-02

===========

IOS (tm) C2950 Software (C2950-I6Q4L2-M), Version 12.1(13)EA1

5th floor -03

=============

IOS (tm) C2950 Software (C2950-I6Q4L2-M), Version 12.1(22)EA4

=============================

8th-Floor-01

============

WS-C2950G-48-EI

9th-Floor-01

============

1st floor

=========

IOS (tm) C2950 Software (C2950-I6Q4L2-M), Version 12.1(22)EA1

3 Replies 3

kayih
Level 1
Level 1

shibu,

you need a serious upgrade in your LAN before you could implement IPT in your company. you need POE to provide power to the phones, you need a dual core network for redundancy, never, never rely on only one core. Spanning tree does not need any special config for IPT, as it's considered as an other application, as far as I know. yes you can keep using the same DHCP server for the voice VLAN, the iphelper feature on your core switch will let know your DHCP server from which subnet or VLAN the DHCP request is coming from. have you thought how you are going to access the PSTN, what about voice messaging ...

IPT is really really complex, I would suggest you contact a company to provide you consultancy advises, IPT is one of the most complex techno in the market.

yes you will be able to configure QOS, have a look on cisco web site there are plenty of sample config available around there.

Dear Kayih,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

We have decided to put Avaya IP phone in the network.does it support cisco POE switches? or we need to have any other switches like foundry e.t.c.

Suppose we buy a bunch of other POE switches can it be uplinked to main distribution switch?

Thanks

Avaya IP phones should work with any brand of switches that support IEEE standard PoE.

you are talking about a bunch of topics here. I think you should work with some VAR to do it right

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: