cisco works high memory usage

Unanswered Question
Aug 23rd, 2009

Hi Team,

Pls let me know the troubleshooting steps of high memory usage on cisco works server LMS/2.6.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 4.4 (9 ratings)
Joe Clarke Mon, 08/24/2009 - 07:15

First you need to identify what process(es) are taking the most memory. then, take those process IDs, and map them to CiscoWorks daemons using the output of the pdshow command. From there, it needs to be determined if this memory usage is expected given the number of devices being managed, tasks being performed, etc.

Sec IT Mon, 08/24/2009 - 21:57

Hi clarke,

The processes are sm_server.exe & dbsrv9.exe.

LMS is 2.6 version & it has 1900 devices in common services n rme.

Can you help in indentifying the problem. Let me know whether any documentation is available in cisco site for the above symptoms ??

Joe Clarke Mon, 08/24/2009 - 22:23

Well, sm_server.exe is tied to DFM, but there are numerous dbsrv9 processes. As I said, you need to use the pdshow output to map the PID from Process Monitor to a CiscoWorks daemon name.

I can say that 1900 devices is too many for DFM. You can only manage a maximum of 1500 devices in DFM, but that is just a rough estimate. It really boils down to the number of managed objects. You can use the command:

NMSROOT\objects\smarts\bin\sm_tpmgr -s DFM --sizes

To see the total number of managed ports and interfaces. The rule of thumb is no more than 45,000 total ports+interfaces with a max of 6,750 of them being managed.

Sec IT Tue, 08/25/2009 - 05:05

Thanks clarke.

I will check and update you.

Thanks for providing such a valuable information.

Sec IT Thu, 08/27/2009 - 21:22

Hi Clarke,

I have deleted all the unwanted switches from the cw. now it is 1200 devices and the number of port monitored = 3000, no of interfaces monitored = 17600

License = never.

Can you pls let me know what else can w check.

Joe Clarke Thu, 08/27/2009 - 21:31

That's still too many ports/interfaces. While you can have 20,600 total, only 6,750 can be managed.

You may need to split DFM up onto multiple servers in order to manage all of the required ports and interfaces.

Sec IT Thu, 08/27/2009 - 21:54

Hi clarke,

You mean to say out of 20,600 total, only 6,750 can be managed ?

Secondly, how many inf+ports you recommend?

And last, could you please let me know the procedure of how to do the splitting of DFM up onto multiple servers in order to manage all of the required ports and interfaces.

Appreciated your inputs..

Joe Clarke Thu, 08/27/2009 - 22:11

Correct, no more than 6,750 ports/interfaces can be managed in one instance of DFM. This assumes a server with 4 GB of RAM, and at least 2 CPUs.

Given enough resources, you can manage the maximum.

To install multiple instances of DFM, you will need to install it, plus Common Services on multiple servers. The total sum of all managed devices (on all servers) cannot exceed the purchased license count, or you need to purchase a new license for each server.

Make sure each server's DFM instance does not manage more than the documented maximum number of ports/interfaces.

Sec IT Thu, 08/27/2009 - 22:25

Hi Clarke,

I got it here its managing 17600 interfaces, where as supported is only 6750 RIGHT ?

So, you recommend to have additional server OR DFM splitting.. How to do that DFM splitting.

Joe Clarke Thu, 08/27/2009 - 22:46

Adding an additional server IS splitting DFM. That is, you install another instance of Common Services and DFM on another server. On that other server, you add the devices which the first instance of DFM is not managing. You want to keep the managed port/interface count on both servers at or under 6,750. So, between both servers, you can manage 13,500 ports/interfaces. If you still need more than this, create a third server for the remaining devices.

Sec IT Thu, 08/27/2009 - 23:14

Clark, one more question, what about increasing the RAM in the cisco works server. will that be a work around ???

Joe Clarke Thu, 08/27/2009 - 23:29

Adding RAM only works when running with a supported number of managed objects. Beyond that, and testing was not done. Things may work, but just slowly. However, the application could crash or freeze.

Sec IT Fri, 08/28/2009 - 01:58

Can you assit me on reducing the number of interfaces monitored. How do i reduce the number of unwanted interfaces thru cisco works ? That would be of great help.

Joe Clarke Fri, 08/28/2009 - 09:24

You can either remove devices from DFM, or go to DFM > Device Management > Device Details, view the details for a given device, then set ports/interfaces to unmanaged (by setting their management state to false).

Sec IT Sun, 08/30/2009 - 22:46

Hi Clarke,

Can you pls provide me the cisco document/URL which describes about the no. of interfaces/ports/max devices etc...

This would be of great help for me.

Sec IT Thu, 09/17/2009 - 05:06

Hi Clarke,

I have decreased the no. of ports and interfaces in DFM, Stopped the syslog services in "services.msc", but still the memory utilization is above 80 percent as noticed from the taskbar>performance (Physical memory). Swap memory is double the physical dram size.

Below is the output of the command run in command prompt.

%NMSROOT\objects\smarts\bin\ sm_tpmgr -s DFM -sizes

Total systems in topology: 1023

remaining blocks of system licenses in license server: uncounted

current system limit: 5000

No. of Router 956 [835/835]

Total no. of ports 2939 [154/0]

Total no. of interfaces 17498 [4708/2266]

Total no. of Links: 592

Total no. of networkconnections: 472

Total no. of cables: 70

Total no. of Trunkcables: 50

As you can see that no. of interfaces managed are 4708 out-of 17498 discovered interfaces and ports =154 out-of discoverd 2939 ports.

Rajesh P

Joe Clarke Thu, 09/17/2009 - 07:56

You're running at the high end of the support spectrum, so more memory is expected. What are the specs of this server? Given a solution server for LMS 2.6, you need at least two CPUs and at least 4 GB of RAM. But these are only the minimums. You may require more for your environment.

Sec IT Thu, 09/17/2009 - 09:33

Server spec:- windows 2003 srv with 3GB Ram, Around 170GB of free hdd space out of 200gb. But still the no. of interfaces and ports have been reduced. Does it resolve by a hdd format and export the csv of dcr credential list rather than taking the old db backup ? Or anyother solutions will be given as a workaround. I have disabled the syslog services in cw server still i could see the sm_server.exe taking arnd 150mb of mem. As soon as i shutdown the cw services the mem usage comes down.

Joe Clarke Thu, 09/17/2009 - 09:35

Your server needs another gigabyte of memory. While you're now running with within the maximum limit of managed elements in DFM, LMS, and especially DFM take a lot of RAM. This is not a problem, just a fact. If memory is running tight, then you need to add more. In this case, your server is under-powered.

Sec IT Thu, 09/17/2009 - 18:17

Would that be fine adding another 2gb ram with existing 2gb = total 4gb in this cw server or should have more than 4gb for better side?.

Will the application not crash or freeze ? as you had mentioned earlier in this case notes.

Your inputs are awaited..

Joe Clarke Thu, 09/17/2009 - 19:23

The more memory, the better the performance will be. However, the server needs AT LEAST 4 GB given the number of devices, applications, and managed objects in order to be supported and function properly.

If this server is moved to a supported configuration hardware-wise, then the application should behave properly as you are now within the supported limits of DFM from a managed objects point of view.

Sec IT Thu, 09/17/2009 - 22:44

Hi Clarke,

I forgot to mention that we have already 4GB RAM, do we need to add another 4 more GB to the existing h/w ?

Sorry for the typo, as i had mentioned in my earlier mail that toatal of 2gb only existing as ram.

Joe Clarke Thu, 09/17/2009 - 22:47

If memory is tight, or if things are slow, then, yes, add another one or two GB.

On Windows, LMS can handle up to 32 GB of system memory provided the system is Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition (with PAE enabled). With Standard Edition, 4 GB is the max.

This Discussion