Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA8000 Periodic Phantom Calls

dallen699
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or has come across this in the past.

I have a customer with a Samsung 7200 Officeserv PBX connected to an SPA8000. Randomly, every 15-20 minutes they will get a phantom call on their PBX from the Analogue Trunk port that the 8000 is connected to. I have checked to see if there is a problem with the SPA8000 by plugging in a standard analogue phone, however I was not able to replicate the issue. I have made sure that the Message Waiting and VM Notification is disabled. The rest of the config is pretty standard (Trunks not being used, registering by line and things changed were the Regional DIaltone settings). The only thing I could think of is a possible Voltage issue? The PBX seems to work fine on standard PSTN lines.

I've got version 6.1.3 on the SPA8000.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

David

7 Replies 7

Alberto Montilla
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is it possible that you get traces/syslog from the customer installation. Could be several things...I suggest you disable the call back feature on the device and also the ring on voicemail, just in case there are issues with it.

Call Back Serv:  NO

VMWI Serv:  NO

Regards
Alberto

Hi,

I've attached a Debug/Syslog, however it does not show anything happening when they hear the phantom ring. Could this be some sort of Voltage Issue?

Thanks,
David

Hi David;

Looks like the SPA8000 is detecting offhook from the phone, so looks like a voltage issue on the line/phone.

Could you please check the following:

- Check whether you are using 2 or 4 wire cables for the analog phones, we always recommend using 2 wires, as there are some phones that present a different impedance to the device if the 4 wires are connected.

- How long is the cable between the SPA and the phone?

- How many analog phones do you connect to each SPA analog (FXS) port?

Regards;
Alberto

Hi Alberto,

The actual unit was located around 20 Meters away from the actual PBX and we had patched between an IDF on two floors. On both ends it was connected using 2 Wire RJ11 cables. There is only 1 line connected to each CO port on the PBX.

In the meantime I have placed the 8000 right near the PBX and connected it via 1 Meter patch cables and the issue has now dissappeared. Is there a maximum cable length from the 8000 to the PBX for future reference?

Thanks,
David

Hi David;

I'm checking with engineering support to see if this is the cause of the issue.

Regards
Alberto

Hi David;

Engineering is asking whether it is possible for you to collect (with the 20 meters connection) debug information at level 3.

How to do it? In the [System] tab:

- Set the "Debug Server" to the ip address of your syslog server

- Set the "Debug level" to 3.

- Go to the [Line] tab and set "SIP Debug Option" to Full.

In addition, it would help if you can find out what's the line voltage provided by the PBX line card. This should not be the issue (but need to confirm) as there should be no difference if using 1 or 20 meters from the SPA8000 perspective.

Regards
Alberto

Hi,

I haven't been able to test this since as we put in a SPA8000 directly next to the PBX to resolve the issue. If I have the problem happen again, i'll send through the details.

Thanks

David

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: