cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MAC learning from local instead of device.

ilnaiduccna
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have found the below error log in my switch 4507.

Aug 24 10:22:32.453: (Suppressed 21 times)Packet received with my own MAC address (00:19:06:D0:D5:FF) as source on port Gi3/37 in vlan 64

I cleared the MAC table as suggested in the cisco web but still the same error is coming

What will cause with this error if continue?

What can be done to stope this?

Experts please help me to stop this....

Regards,

Naidu.

7 Replies 7

ktwaddell
Level 1
Level 1

Can you do the following commands

sh cdp ne g3/37 de

sh runn int g3/37

sh int status (just copy the g3/37 bit)

Thanks

Kev

Hi Kev,

Thanks for the early reply, Please find the below details.

4507#sh cdp neig gigabitEthernet 3/37 detail

4507#sh run int gi3/37

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 127 bytes

!

interface GigabitEthernet3/37

description Sev1 is Connected to storage Expansion

switchport access vlan 64

end

4507# sh int status

Gi3/37 Sev1 is Connected t connected 64 a-full a-100 10/100/1000-TX

Regards,

Naidu.

Hi

The device that is connected to g3/37 (storage Expansion is it?) does it have more than 1 nic connected?

Thanks

Kev

Hi Kev,

I got the below information from Cisco.

They are saying... Check the switch configuration file to determine the source of these packets on the specified port and take corrective action to fix them at the source

And force the switch to re-learn the MAC addresses correctly

Can you please tell me what configuration i need to check to force the switch to learn correct MAC address.

Problem

The switch reports the %C4K_L2MAN-5-ROUTERMACADDRESSRXASSOURCE:Packet received with my own MAC address ( [mac-addr] ) as source on port [char] in vlan [dec] error message.

Cause

A packet was received with the MAC address of the switch as the source address. This MAC was not learned as a valid source address, which suggests that there is a configuration problem. This message is rate-limited and is displayed only for the first such packet received on any interface or VLAN. Subsequent messages display a cumulative count of all such packets received in a given interval on all interfaces in any VLAN.

Solution

Complete these steps to resolve the issue:

Clear the MAC address table and force the switch to re-learn the MAC addresses correctly.

Switch#clear mac-address-table dynamic

Check the switch configuration file to determine the source of these packets on the specified port and take corrective action to fix them at the source. This usually signifies a loop in your configuration.

Hi Kev,

I got that the device connected in to this port (gi3/37) is one of the SAN switch.

Regards,

Naidu.

Hi All,

Can any someone please help me on this.

one of the SAN switch connected in port gi3/37.

Regards,

Naidu.

Hi Kev,

Please find the below log message:

057352: Mar  3 07:58:18.210: (Suppressed 1062 times)Packet received with my own MAC address (00:19:06:D0:D5:FF) as source on port Gi3/37 in vlan 64

057333: Mar  2 13:50:14.153: (Suppressed 1078 times)Packet received with my own MAC address (00:19:06:D0:D5:FF) as source on port Gi3/38 in vlan 64

Yes, Storage systems connected on this port

interface GigabitEthernet3/37
description A14 is Connected to IBM system storage Expansion
switchport mode access

interface GigabitEthernet3/38
description A15 is Connected to IBM DS4700 System storage
switchport mode access

Can some one let me know will it cause any issues in real time as it is production envi and how I can avoid these messages.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco