Views
Helpful
Replies

help to choose product for wlan surfing

svenneke007
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

i need to make sure that a company can surf on one broadband connection from several rooms on 2 different floors,

what router and ap i should buy to cover 100m

wth regards

3 Replies 3

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

Well this very much depends on what the building structure is.

You should consider a site survey for the wireless strength. Cisco partners / retailers could offer such services.

If you are looking for something simple, you can get a linksys n router which will do routing an ap. Not sure if the coverage will be that great. I use it to cover about 80m in buildings.

Hi,

txs for the reply, wich router you had in mind?

i thought an aironet 1140 series ysed as accespoint together with a router but dont know wich one to choose i'm using a broadband connection, not adsl

if i dont have enough coverage i can use more in wireless bridge or am i wrong?

with regards

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Firstly, until Cisco releases the autonomous IOS (aIOS) for the 1140, you can't use the 1140 unless you have a Wireless LAN Controller.

Next, how does the xDSL come in to your site? Cisco has a number of xDSL ISRs (850/870) integrated with a 4-port (non-PoE) switch (2950-like behaviour).

Last year, Cisco started releasing their new xDSL routers, 860, 880, and 890.

Model Comparison Chart

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/prod_models_comparison.html

No matter what router or AP model you choose, you need to do a Wireless LAN Site Survey so you will know whereto deploy your AP how may AP's to deploy.

If you want an affordable solution, then Linksys products can be a way to go, however, if you want to go down the Cisco path ... let us know!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card