cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.2 running extremely slow

msalim
Level 1
Level 1

I have upgraded LMS3.2 from 3.1, but now it's running extremely slow. I have tried stopping service, terminating sm_server.exe, sm_authority.exe and brstart.exe for 15 minutes and restarting service as mentioned in one of the notes, but still no luck. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

13 Replies 13

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What exactly is slow? How slow? How busy is the server's CPU? What processes are taking up the most CPU time? What LMS daemons to those processes map to in the pdshow output?

msalim
Level 1
Level 1

Task manager shows sm_server.exe process is taking most of the utilization.

But you said killing this process had no effect on performance? Again, what parts of LMS are slow, and how slow are they? Are you using a client on the LMS server, or a remote client?

I read somewhere on lms3.2 tech notes as a temp fix to slow processing, as to shutdown crmtgtd service and then also terminate the processes I mentioned earlier, then restarting the crmtgtd service after 15 minutes. What I meant to say that going through that fix steps didn't help?

The LMS slow behavior is same starting from client login to going from one module to another, everything is slow. I am using client on LMS server.

I haven't heard of any performance issues with LMS 3.2. In fact, many known issues were resolved in 3.2. Post screenshots of the Process Monitor showing all of the processes. Post the output of the pdshow command. What are the specs on this server? How much memory does it have? How many CPUs? What is the CPU speed? How many devices are being managed? What version of Windows?

To answer all your system's questions, LMS 3.1 was running just fine, so we can assume that it should be okay for 3.2 also. Pdshow output is attached.

Thanks,

This doesn't show all of the PIDs and their CPU utilization which is why I asked for the screenshots of the Process Monitor. In any event, it would probably be easier for you to open a TAC service request so this performance issue can be seen, and analyzed in realtime.

Is it possible to revert back to 3.1? I tried to install 3.1 but it was giving some kind of error I don't remember.

Thanks,

You would need to clean the system of 3.2. This should be doable with a full uninstall of LMS 3.2, then a reboot. However, it may require the clean_system.exe tool from TAC. Once LMS 3.1 is uninstalled, you can install 3.1 as a new install. When installed, and patched back to the previous level, then you can restore a known good 3.1 backup to get your data back.

Here's the processes screen shot.

Thanks,

Okay, so DFM is really the problem. Just to make sure performance returns to a good level, run the following commands:

pdterm DfmServer

pdterm DfmServer1

No luck...

Did the CPU at least calm down? If not, post the new pdshow and new set of screenshots.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: