cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing Wireless Channel on CISCO Router

n.murugesan
Level 1
Level 1

How do I change the wireless channel on a CISCO 1811W (MPC8500) router? Currently it is channel 10 and I prefer to change it to channel 1 to reduce interference with microwave oven. I have already replaced the standard antenna with 7dBi high gain antenna.

Out of 12 wireless clients about 3 are being dropped whenever microwave oven is turned on. These clients have Linksys WMP54G Wireless G PCI adapters. Other client computers are notebooks with builtin wireless adapters and desktops with Belkin, TRENDnet, or Motorola  Wireless PCI or USB adapters. 

All computers are within about 60'-80' radius from the CISCO wireless router and are about 20' away from the microwave oven. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

N Murugesan

nmurugesan@windstream.net

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You need to "telnet" to the device using the windows command prompt or a similar terminal emulator (putty, etc.).  So instead of using your browser and going to the 10.10.10.1 address you would type "telnet 10.10.10.1" into the command prompt or terminal emulator.  From there you would log in to the router with your credentials (should be the same as you use for SDM).  Then once you are in the router prompt (router>) you would type "enable" and apply the specific enable password to get to the Privilege EXEC or enable prompt (router#).  From there the instructions you have (likely from page 38 of this document). 

If you are not familiar with CLI or Command Line Interface then you need to be very careful with what you do so as not to misconfigure something else.  I would recommend reading through a Cisco IOS command reference guide (based on the version of IOS your router is running) first and also make sure when you make changes to apply it to memory with a "write mem" command from the "router#" prompt when you are sure you have made the change you want and need to save it.

If you are not very familiar with CLI then I would HIGHLY recommend some initial self-study and reading prior to attempting anything in CLI on a "live" router that's in production.  The consequences could be serious if mistakes are made.

Best of luck!

Glenn

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Glenn Quesenberry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What are you using to configure the router, SDM, CLI, what?  If using CLI, try using the "debug dot11radio" commands to review the channel allocation and change it.  You can get a description of this command via the Command Lookup Tool. It also includes the associated syntax used in the command.  You will need to login with your CCO credentials to access it.

Best Regards,

Glenn

I tried in SDM and could not find a way to change radio channel.

How do I invoke command line interface (CLI)? I found the following from Cisco Wireless ISR and HWIC Access Point Configuration Guide.

Configuring Radio Channel Settings

Step 1          configure terminal                     - enter global configuration mode

Step 2          interface dot11radio 0                   - enter interface configuration mode for the radio interface. The 2.4 GHz radio is radio 0, and 5 GHz is 1.

Step 3           channel frequency | least-congested - set the default channel for the wireless radio - Channel 1 2412 MHz, Ch 2 2417, Ch 3 2422, etc.

- To search for the least-congested channel on startup, enter least-congested

Step 4          end                                        - return to privileged EXEC mode

Step 5          copy running-config startup-config          -(optional) save your entries in the configuration file. 

I need help to enter into the privileged EXEC mode. Once I type https://10.10.10.1 (router IP) I get a login screen (Level_15 or view access). Once I enter User Id and Password I get Cisco Router and Security Device Manager (SDM) that has Home, Configure, and Monitor tabs.

Configure - Interfaces & Connections - Edit Interfaces & Connections - DOT11Radio0 shows status as Up; but does not allow me to change anything. Neither channel nor frequency is displayed.

So I not sure how to use SDM to change the default channel.

I will appreciate any help in this regard.

N Murugesan

nmurugesan@windstream.net

You need to "telnet" to the device using the windows command prompt or a similar terminal emulator (putty, etc.).  So instead of using your browser and going to the 10.10.10.1 address you would type "telnet 10.10.10.1" into the command prompt or terminal emulator.  From there you would log in to the router with your credentials (should be the same as you use for SDM).  Then once you are in the router prompt (router>) you would type "enable" and apply the specific enable password to get to the Privilege EXEC or enable prompt (router#).  From there the instructions you have (likely from page 38 of this document). 

If you are not familiar with CLI or Command Line Interface then you need to be very careful with what you do so as not to misconfigure something else.  I would recommend reading through a Cisco IOS command reference guide (based on the version of IOS your router is running) first and also make sure when you make changes to apply it to memory with a "write mem" command from the "router#" prompt when you are sure you have made the change you want and need to save it.

If you are not very familiar with CLI then I would HIGHLY recommend some initial self-study and reading prior to attempting anything in CLI on a "live" router that's in production.  The consequences could be serious if mistakes are made.

Best of luck!

Glenn

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction and cautioning about making changes to a live, production router configuration. I very much appreciate your timely help.

N Murugesan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: