Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 config register 0XF

jafar.tarawneh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

what the purpose of having the register set to 0xf in the 3750 ?

i have a situation where it its booting in bootstrap, and i think this is causing it each time.

anyone know the reason behind that, and if i shoulod set it to 0x2 ?

thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Jafar,

As Joe has pointed out very correctly, the value 0xF is a correct configuration register value for a switch. In fact, I haven't seen a 29x0 or 3xx0 switch having a different configuration register value and I even have a feeling that the entire configuration register is there just for compatility with the common IOS code base and it is ignored completely.

Please, if possible, post here the transcript of the booting progress of that switch. We might be able to help you better.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

This looks fine. I see no reason why the switch wouldn't boot directly to the 12.2(35)SE image on flash. As was statement previously, it would help to see the console output from the switch booting up.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, 0xF is the proper value for this device. What is the output of "show boot" from this switch?

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Jafar,

As Joe has pointed out very correctly, the value 0xF is a correct configuration register value for a switch. In fact, I haven't seen a 29x0 or 3xx0 switch having a different configuration register value and I even have a feeling that the entire configuration register is there just for compatility with the common IOS code base and it is ignored completely.

Please, if possible, post here the transcript of the booting progress of that switch. We might be able to help you better.

Best regards,

Peter

thanks,

as350057s02#sh boot

BOOT path-list : flash:c3750-ipservices-mz.122-35.SE5/c3750-ipservices-mz.122-35.SE5.bin

Config file : flash:/config.text

Private Config file : flash:/private-config.text

Enable Break : no

Manual Boot : no

HELPER path-list :

Auto upgrade : yes

Auto upgrade path :

as350057s02#

i have the wrong stement there,

this is my issue,

still would like to know the reason behind 0xf, compared to other cisco devices.

thanks

The config register on the 3750 (and other desktop switches) is fixed at 0xF. It cannot be changed, but it is analogous to 0x2102 on other platforms in that it causes the switch to boot from flash, and load the saved config.text.

This looks fine. I see no reason why the switch wouldn't boot directly to the 12.2(35)SE image on flash. As was statement previously, it would help to see the console output from the switch booting up.

habdellatif
Level 1
Level 1

If no boot system commands are stored in the configuration file, or if executing those commands is unsuccessful, then the router attempts to boot the first image file in flash memory.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: