Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IOS and Virus

tomocisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Please I want to know if cisco IOS/router configuration files can be infected by virus.

We had a virus outbreak in our network that disabled telnet from the systems but before that I had accessed some of our routers via telnet & done some configuration.

Though there's not been any adverse effect but I dont want to take any chance by accessing the routers again until we solve the virus problem.

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"Please I want to know if cisco IOS/router configuration files can be infected by virus. "

Almost impossible. However, whether a router's config files might be corrupted by accessing the Cisco router from an infected host, where a virus has "captured" telnet, is a much more likely possibility.

A computer virus is targeted against certain host systems. Just as you don't normally see a virus that targets both PCs and MACs, one that "spreads" between Cisco routers and PCs would be unlikely.

However, if the virus in question has "captured" telnet, but still lets it operate, using an infected PC to access a Cisco router might indeed damage a config yet not "infect" the router.

If you've ID'ed the virus, you might want to research its behavior.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card