Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading 6509...what features?

thanmad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm throwing a new upgrade on my 6509 w/ dual Sup720s. i think i've nailed down the version that will support my cards i'm just trying to figure out what features to go for..

can someone explain the (Modular) train?

And my main question...

NSF/SSO or SRM/SSO

Is there a reason to use one over the other? I'm currently using RPR+

Thanks for any advice you can give :)

3 Replies 3

jbrenesj
Level 3
Level 3

Modular IOS was an idea to build separate software modules so for instance, if an upgrade is needed for something related to CDP, instead of having to upgrade the whole IOS you could just "patch" the CDP portion which actually prevents a reload on the whole box. This has not advanced that much so you can stick with the normal IOS.

SSO is the prefered supervisor redundancy method mainly due to its speed when doing a sup switchover, it takes less than 3 seconds and the standby supervisor is ready (full MAC tables and configurations). the problem is with the routing protocols (and some other layer3 features) because upon a switchover, the protocols must re-converge and that usually takes a little longer. Here is when NSF comes into play, if it is being used, a routing protocol like OSPF can converge a lot faster if you are using NSF-capable devices.

SRM/SSO is just the regular stateful switchover mode and in my opinion it's a lot better than RPR+ and I'm talking about "speed" because at the end is what we want from a supervisor redundancy protocol

jbrenesj
Level 3
Level 3

I forgot, take a look at this page so you can have an idea in what features come with each IOS feature set:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps8802/ps5460/prod_bulletin0900aecd80281b17_ps708_Products_Bulletin.html

Wow! what a great link! Thanks that makes things much easier to understand. i always wondered about the relationship between advanced ip and advanced enterprise.

yeah, i think SSO/NSF is the way to go for my EIGRP network.

Thanks again!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: