cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading IOS on a Cat 6513 - basic question

jim_berlow
Level 3
Level 3

I have a basic question on upgrading the IOS on a Catalyst 6513 (Sup 720 w/ PFC3A). I'm looking to install the following IOS binary: s72033-adventerprisek9_wan-mz.122-33.SXH5.bin.

In using the software advisor it says that I need 512 MB DRAM and 512 MB Flash. I know that I'm covered on the DRAM (from the show version). However, I am curious where I go to check the flash. I plan to install the binary on the compact flash and boot from there. Does this mean that my compact flash needs to be 512 MB in size? I notice that the image itself is only 78 MB in size. Am I looking at the wrong thing or should I be checking some other flash?

I attached a show version if it helps!

Thanks,

Jim

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

The flash memory is the compactflash card you insert in the sup720.

You can do a dir disk0: or dir disk1: depending on where it's inserted to see how much memory you have.

The flash memory is the size of the compact flash card.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

The flash memory is the compactflash card you insert in the sup720.

You can do a dir disk0: or dir disk1: depending on where it's inserted to see how much memory you have.

The flash memory is the size of the compact flash card.

Thank you for clarifying! +5 to you!

jim_berlow
Level 3
Level 3

I guess this isn't a basic question (based on response)!

So when Software Advisor says 512 MB flash - does that mean a 512 MB Compact Flash will do?

You can use a lesser space - as you noted - the image size is only 78MB. Cisco's recommendation on the space allows you to allocate more space not just for this image but for other images as backup.

It also allows you to write a coredump to flash.

HTH,

__

Edison.

I recommend that you get a 512 mb flash.

You will be able to copy more than one image on it and the coredumps may take space. It's not really used for anything else.

To respond to your question: Yes, 512 mb flash = 512 compact flash card.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card