cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DMZ Topology change

gregbeifuss
Level 1
Level 1

I've inherited a DMZ network that doesn't follow good security principles. Some hosts in the DMZ are dual-homed and the 2nd network connection is directly on the internal network:

Internal --- ASA ----- Internal Network

| |

L-----------DMZ

(The DMZ is directly connected to the ASA as well but I can't draw it clearly)

What I'd like to do is reconfigure it so I have a dual-firewall setup:

Internal---ASA---DMZ---ASA---Internet

I'm having a difficult time conceptualizing a plan of attack for this work. Can anyone give me their overview on how they'd tackle this task?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Greg

Are you proposing to buy another firewall ?

Do you have a proxy server in the DMZ for internal clients to access the Internet ?

Jon

I have a 2nd ASA already on hand that I'd like to use.

Internet surfing for our internal clients is handled by a different ISP link/firewall pair. The setup I'm looking to change is only the DMZ for hosted services. Internet requests for our websites/mail need to come in, and the DMZ hosts need to communicate with the back-end internal servers.

Greg

Okay, then it is relatively easy to do as you do not need a direct path between your internal and external ASAs.

Basically what happens is that each server is on 2 vlans.

There is a vlan that is connected to the external ASA and it is on this vlan that requests from the Internet arrive at the servers.

Then there is a vlan that is connected to the internal ASA and it is on this vlan that the servers make connections to your back-end servers inside your network.

You can use multiple vlans ie. you dont have to have just one external vlan and one internal vlan - its up to you.

Key thing is to make sure you disable IP routing on the servers.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card