cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unknown Protocol Drops

dhopper82
Level 1
Level 1

I have an 1841 connected up to a 2960 switch and then into a cable connection that we're pushing IPSec over. I am noticing that when I do a show int on the port that is connecting into the switch I am getting several "unknown protocol drops" on it. I was wondering if someone might know a debug command on the router to see what this protocol is???

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Dennis,

in your case switch STP BPDUs and other L2 protocol messages like DTP can be seen as unknown protocols on the router port.

Another example we have seen in our network is that some switches count as unknown protocol drops IS-IS hello packets sent by distribution nodes.

You should be fine.

To check if they are related to STP clear the interface counters and then see the rate of increment if it is one every 2 seconds or N every 2 seconds (if the port is a trunk carrying N vlans) you should have a confirmation they are just STP BPDUs

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks Giuseppe. Yeah it's once or twice every few seconds.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card