Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding Verizon Fios to Cisco 2811

pintopatrick
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We currently have that has a T1 at one of our locations that goes into a Cisco 2811 series router. We have voice and data traffic travelling over this T1 into our MPLS cloud.

I would like to ask if the current scenario is possible. We would like to add a Verizon FIOS connection into the building and put it into the router. We would then create a site to site vpn tunnel between the router and our cisco asa firewall back at our dat center. We would then like all data traffic to travel over the fios site to site vpn and all voice traffic to stay on the T1. If the Fios line fails we would like all data traffic to failover to the t1 and then when it comes back failover to the site to site vpn tunnel?

My first question is if this scenario possible? Any thougts, ideas, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Patrick

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Patrick,

Yes, it is possible but I want to clarify that Verizon's handoff (at least in my neck of the woods) is a coax connection not a copper connection. The 2811 router won't be the internet facing router. Verizon offers an ActionTech router which can be your internet facing router and the 2811 can sit behind this router with a private IP.

For additional information on how to setup this VPN, we do have a section on this forum for VPN so I suggest to post it there.

As for the routing situation, you will need to use object tracking on the router to determine when the FIOS fails from the 2811. The 2811 will be connected to the FIOS router via the LAN connection and this connection will never fail. I recommend reading on IP SLA for that matter http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4/ip_sla/configuration/guide/hsla_c.html

With IP SLA, you can detect indirect failures on the connection.

As for breaking the traffic based on the source, you will need to use PBR as regular routing protocols are destination based routing, not source based routing.

PBR documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/iproute/configuration/guide/irp_ip_prot_indep_ps6350_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1056703

If you are unsure about all these technologies, I recommend getting some outside help.

__

Edison.

Thanks Edison. We are going to test just sending all the traffic over fios. My next question to you is in regards about the 2811 being connected to the FIOS Router via the lan connection.

You are right about coax...I checked my connection at home and its the same. So then would I take the a cable from the lan port on the switch off of the fios router and plug it into the serial connection on the 2811 and configure that with the static ip they give me?

Just let me know what you think?

Patrick

The FIOS router runs DHCP for its LAN ports. You will use one of the LAN ports and with a copper cable connect from the ActionTech to the 2811 LAN port - no serial connection is involved and your router can be configured with static or obtain the IP address via DHCP from the ActionTech.

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card