Hi all, CCNA with his first interview;)

Unanswered Question
Aug 25th, 2009

Hi all,

I have finally landed my first interview for a trainee network field engineer position. I just wondered if any of you guys could tell me what I should be really sharp on. I have just recently passed so it's a very scary thing;/

Many thanks,

Bill from London;)))

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jim_berlow Tue, 08/25/2009 - 12:02

Congrats on getting the interview in this tough economy. The most important thing is being sharp on all the aspects of the job requirement. Be prepared to answer questions on anything listed on your resume or how your experience maps to what they are looking for in the job.

The fact that they are bringing you in for an interview is at least some indication that they feel you might be a fit for the position.

They might and probably will ask you a few technical questions, but they will usually ask a number of non-technical questions as well (just like any job).

Good luck!

Jim

billyinkin Tue, 08/25/2009 - 12:12

Thanks Jim,

Im pretty sharp with VLANS and Routing Protocols. I find it really difficult to memorise the maximum cable lengths. Im good with all overall concepts and troubleshooting. Put me in front of a network that needs troubleshooting and i feel great, that does not faze me. Ask me questions and that scares the life out of me. Im sort of reverse what you would expect from a new CCNA. Im more comfortable with the practical side;)Its a great oppertunity and i really wanna give it my best shot;)

Bill

jimmysands73_2 Tue, 08/25/2009 - 19:20

Congrats....

In addition to what the above poster said, I would be honest. If you do not know the answer then take a few seconds, think harder, but dont bs or try to attempt to pretend to know something you dont.

Good luck,

Jimmy

Tony.henry Thu, 10/01/2009 - 13:51

I think this is great advice. Nothing worse than watching someone try to BS their way through a question.

But don't leave it at "I don't know" as the employer has limited time and you aren't going to be impressing them with those sort of answers.

It's an oportunity to show that you know your limitations, and know how to expand them. I would start at the point, that your not sure, walk the employer what I'd do to understand better the problem and how I'd walk that through to a end solution, and finally what I'd do to get that solution into their production system.

Some of the key words I'd be looking for here are engagement of users/business owners, communication with senior resources, testing, and implementation planning.

I work projects so that might not be so important as a helpdesk operator, though the concepts would be the same. No one likes someone trying to baffle with BS.

Good luck

HTH

Tony

howtonetwork Tue, 08/25/2009 - 23:47

Hi Bill,

Did you mean technically?

If there is a technical test you need to know what it is you will be supporting. LAN or WAN teams have different skill requirements of course. ISPs something else.

I would learn all about the company. It's position in the marketplace, what's it's plan for growth, mission statement etc. You can get all of that off the web site usually.

Have answers to the stock questions:

1. What can you bring to the company?

2. Why should we hire you?

3. Will you abandon us once you are trained?

and other equally silly questions.

For the technical part I have prepared a list of what people need to know and do for CCNA level:

www.howtonetwork.net/public/1153.cfm')">http://www.howtonetwork.net/public/1153.cfm

Let us know how you get on.

Paul Browning

www.howtonetwork.net

Actions

This Discussion