Anyone have a similiar issue with clients and SP3?

Unanswered Question
Aug 26th, 2009
User Badges:

About a month and half ago now I started a test project in a certain part of the hospital with carts using EAP-TLS. They were disconnecting quite a bit and I decided they couldn't handle the roam times so I moved them back to their original SSID which is WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK. Still problems continued. They were getting disconnected randomly for what I considered no apparent reason. No RF issues I could find. Doing a client debug MACID, I would receive this:

“Scheduling deletion of Mobile Station” scrolling across the screen. HOWEVER, even though these clients would actually ignore any of my SSID's, the one it would happily connected to was my Open Guest SSID with otu issue. I disabled this SSID as a test, and I ended up not getting anything with a client debug AT ALL. However, if I removed SP3 from XP, the damn thing started working. I've done this on a couple of them but am curious if anyone else has had this issue or similiar as I'm trying to build a case for it.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Loading.
raun.williams Mon, 08/31/2009 - 05:05
User Badges:

Nothing that I can find. Have found no interferer's other then the typical microwaves in certain areas and have resurveyed areas as well. I went so far as to redo 2 floors in our medical tower to drop the channel utilization down a few %. It seems very random to be honest. I've started a trial in one of our units by removing SP3 and the last few days have been with out incident, but only more time will tell. The whole idea of a client not being able to reconnect after being disconnected sounds like typical RF, but the fact I don't find anything and the client can still connect to an OPEN SSID, just not a secured one sounds like the client to me?

romeyrome Mon, 08/31/2009 - 14:19
User Badges:

I have experienced almost this exact same scenario at multiple Dr. Offices. I have seen random disconnects and reconnect delays with WPA2/PSK and SP3 on the clients. I haven't been able to generate any helpful debugs or isolate the problem other than finding that using a Cisco cardbus wireless LAN client adapter. I have all but accepted that the problem relies with the integrated WLAN adapter. The client device is supposedly CCXv4...

russ.michel Thu, 10/08/2009 - 19:58
User Badges:

I take it that the XP machines are using native Windows Wireless Zero Configuration Service, since the problem appears to be related to SP3. I never recommend using it to my clients... I always use the applicable 3rd party configuration utilities like ADU, ProSet, etc.

raun.williams Fri, 10/09/2009 - 04:33
User Badges:

Yeah, the only problem with that is the ability to push configs for wireless settings to it. ACU is a descent utility from Atheros but depending on the vendor who rebrands it, depends on what options are available.

Actions

This Discussion

 

 

Trending Topics - Security & Network