Ciscoworks Common Services 3.1.1 Software Update Error

Answered Question
Aug 26th, 2009

I am trying to do a software update thru a firewall and am getting a failure. What I need to know is what log records these errors so I can provide the protocols,ports, etc. to the firewall administrators? Also, it may be an error on my side but I have no way of knowing without the log details.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Joe Clarke about 7 years 3 months ago

You can change the proxy configuration under Common Services > Server > Security > Proxy Server Setup. However, using SSL for the proxy will not work. LMS expects the connection to cisco.com to be HTTP.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Joe Clarke Wed, 08/26/2009 - 07:46

The protocols used will depend on the devices being upgraded. For example, most devices can be upgraded simply by using SNMP and TFTP. However, you may be using a protocol such as RCP or SCP for image deployment, or you may be upgrading a device that requires telnet or SSH access.

The job logs are found under NMSROOT\files\rme\jobs\swim on Windows and /var/adm/CSCOpx/files/rme/jobs/swim on Solaris. There will be a directory corresponding to the SWIM job ID.

ckeithjones Wed, 08/26/2009 - 08:14

Sorry I wasn't being clear. I am trying to do a software update on the Ciscoworks modules themsleves. I click on the download update link, it prompts for my cisco.com user/pass and then I get the error " Connection to Cisco.com failed. Please check log files. Download operation cannot proceed."

Joe Clarke Wed, 08/26/2009 - 08:21

Ah, this could be a proxy problem. If you are using a proxy, then make sure it is a Basic proxy, and does not require NTLM authentication. LMS will try to connect to cco.cisco.com and www.cisco.com on port 80 if using a direct connection. The psu.log will have more details as to why the failure is occurring.

ckeithjones Wed, 08/26/2009 - 09:26

Yes, it looks like it is a proxy problem. Ours doesn't require authentication but it does block port 80. Is there a way to change it so that CW will use 443 for this connection?

Correct Answer
Joe Clarke Wed, 08/26/2009 - 09:30

You can change the proxy configuration under Common Services > Server > Security > Proxy Server Setup. However, using SSL for the proxy will not work. LMS expects the connection to cisco.com to be HTTP.

Actions

This Discussion