cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SRW224P will not power Aironet APs with POE

kentmcfarland
Level 1
Level 1

It will power my Avaya IP phones just fine.

14 Replies 14

Glenn Quesenberry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Perhaps you are exceeding the power budget of the switch?  I think the PoE Power budget is 180w max.  Also it will power only 12 ports @ 15.4w maximum 802.3af PoE.  Any idea on how many watts your Avaya phones are using?

The AP will not power up over POE even with all IP phones disconnected. The AP is known good as I can power it up over POE on a 6500 switch.

David Cooper
Level 1
Level 1

I'm assuming you have an autonomous access point. I had an Aeronet AP that only appeared to work with the power brick. What I found is that the AP did not recognize the power source so it would not turn on the radio. Go to the CLI on the AP. There is probably an error message about power. I believe it gives you the command to tell the AP that it's ok to use the power from the switch.

How can I see the CLI if there is no power to the AP? Thanks.

If the AP does not light up at all I'd suspect the cable. Have you checked the cable from the switch to the access point? Try plugging in a phone to see if it comes alive.

The cable checked out fine. It works on an IP phone.

Kent,

What is the model number, hardware version and software version on the AP? It may be possible that it does not use 802.1af but Cisco ILP instead. There are many 6500 series Ethernet switches that provide ILP. Linksys devices do not support ILP.

Regards,

Christopher

My AP:

Product/Model Number:AIR-AP1220-IOS-UPGRD
Top Assembly Serial Number:
System Software Filename:c1200-k9w7-tar.123-7.JA
System Software Version:12.3(7)JA
Bootloader Version:12.2(8)JA

Is there a list of Cisco APs that support 802.1f?

Thanks

KMC

It seems that Christopher hit it on the head; the AIR-1220 AP is not 802.3af PoE compliant but rather the older Cisco Inline Power; per Table 1 of  the Data Sheet here.

Thanks for the information!

Hi Ken

Just out of intertest have you tried attaching a X-over CAT5E (8 wire) cable between the old standard AP and the SRW224P ?

regards Dave

I'll try it and let you know what happens.

The cross over cable had no effect. Thanks. I guess I will have to use an injector.

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Kent,

I must recall a long time ago, i had a similar problem. Maybe I'm suffering from domestic blindness, but i haven't spotted the model number of the Cisco AP.

It would be handy to note the model of Cisco AP you are using?

For grins and giggles, if you have a cross over cable handy,   plugging a cat5e crossover cable between the switch and the AP.

regards Dave

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X