Views
Helpful
Replies

IP ADVERTISEMENTS BY ISPs

CCDECCDE9
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

we own AS NUMBER and about few subnets (/24).I told my ISP to advertise two (/24) but ISP is saying to advertise all of them.I told them That I do not need all of them right now but they are insisting as to why I am not advertising all of them.My question is

1.Do I have to advertise all my subnets with ISP who I am using as Multihoming ?

2.What happens If I change my ISP in future,Is it a pain to readvertise my subnets again at different ISP ?WHAT IS involved in readvertisements ?

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1 No. But if the subnets are adjacent, it make sense to advertise a single aggregate.

2. Depends if the addresses are PI or PA. If the latter, ISP can ask that you stop using them when terminating service.

We are PI.How does this advertsing works ?Now ISP1 is advertising our PI and tomorrow I got o ISP2 for advertisement,what happens with ISP1 advertisments ?

We are PI.How does this advertsing works ?Now ISP1 is advertising our PI and tomorrow I got o ISP2 for advertisement,what happens with ISP1 advertisments ?

As long you have a contract with an ISP, they will advertise your PI.

Well it's routing. Best path wins the race. If a customer in ISP1 are going to your network it should go through isp1. If your connection to ISP1 goes down ISP1 learns the routes from ISP2 and traffic goes that way instead.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello CCDE,

>>2.What happens If I change my ISP in future,Is it a pain to readvertise my subnets again at different ISP ?WHAT IS involved in readvertisements ?

nothing to worry about because you have your own AS number and your own public ip address blocks it is just the time to setup the new eBGP session with ISP2

the problem in changing provider comes when you are using a public address block borrowed from ISP1 space.

1) not sure but RIR like RIPE or ARIN may require this: if you have applied for public ip address blocks it is for using them on the public internet.

For example RIPE required real multihoming to confirm an AS number assignation (years ago before the new 4-byte AS numbers).

As Paolo has suggested it makes sense to advertise an aggregated route.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco