cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Get IP - MAC table information

gene.uhl
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have worked in the past with Alcatel and I could go to the router of a subnet and do a show ip route and it would give me the local mac address of an IP address on that subnet in the route tables. How would you get this in a Cisco switch. When I do show ip route I get summarized routes, ie 10.2.xx/16 blah blah

I know I can ping from the local vlan at the edge and do a show ip arp, but I was wondering how to do it at the 6509 which is where routing occurs to that VLAN/Subnet??? Thanks...Gene

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Gene

If the 6500 is responsible for routing the vlan then "sh ip arp | include

Have i misunderstood what you are trying to achieve.

Jon

Yes and no. I know I can do a show IP arp, but I need to ping that address. I used to be able to list (we used OSPF and RIP) the route table (ie Show IP route) and it would show me every IP address it knew about, its MAC address and next hop. The table was sometime huge. So if the local IP was 10.2.1.1 then the route table would show that it was locally connected to port 2 and its mac-address was xxxxxxxxxxxx If there is no such command in Cisco, that is fine, I will just ping then show arp.

I was just curious. I remember getting a lot more info inthe route tables, ie 10.2.1.1 mac-address next hop etc

10.2.1.2 mac-addreess next hop etc

and so on. Not like the summary I get now.

Sorry if I am confusing you...

Thanks

Gene

Gene

There is no way to get this information with "sh ip route" as far as i know but you may well be able to get the information on the 6500 with "sh ip cef" or some variation of that command.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card