Enabling TAPI on the UC520?

Unanswered Question

I want to test the CallConnector client with a UC520.   I currently have 1 IP phone connected and working to a UC520 in a test environment.

Maybe I'm missing it, but I can't find any documentation on how to actually enable TAPI on the UC520 in the first place.  I did find a reference to configuring a username/password on the ephone, but after doing so I don't get any TAPI info.  "show ephone tapi" returns "No ephone in specificed type/condition".

So, forgive the possibly stupid question, but how do I enable TAPI connectivity?

I believe I have the most current CME and CUE files (ones linked from this site with CUE version 7.0.3).

Thanks.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
David Trad Wed, 08/26/2009 - 17:37

Hi Glenn,

If you used CCA to provision the system all should be fine and usable from the word go.

You have to enable a username and password to the ephone that your desk phone is attached too, TAPI integrates to your phone I.E when you click to call it will activate your speaker phone and begin to dial out.

You need to confiure your Outlook to make sure it is going to work with UCC properly, i have to say you are walking into a world of frustration :) i know the Cisco guys wont like me saying this, but UCC is one of the most difficult applications to work with, if it does not crash your Outlook it will crash yoru system, then the configuraiton of it can be painfull as well.

Currently there is about 4 of us here in our office working on UCC right now, the success rate is a hit and miss and i have to say we are quite worried because we have two very large deployements that is hinging on UCC working.

I dont have much to offer you at this stage, but i have attached a PDF document that might help you, it is designed for Australia New Zealand region but hey it might set you on the right path.

Also make sure you are using the Cisco TAPI controller as well, follow the guide and avoid using the Inbuilt Microsoft one.

I wish you all the best, and once i have worked out a way to document a UCC roll out i will pass on that document and our experiecne with it, but right now i am having nightmares with it, it is making me lose sleep :)

Cheers,

David

greenturtlesteak Wed, 08/26/2009 - 18:21

Totally agree with you David.  We had to turn a deal down a UC520 deal this week specifically because the customer would have required Call Connector to address all their needs.  It makes the solution very hard to pitch when there are much cheaper products that have these features built into the base system... Not to mention reliability problems.  David, if you have two deployments hinging on UCC working I would run for the hills.  It is a support nightmare.

I've been using the software in our office for almost two years but have run into crippling bugs in every single production and beta release that I've tested.  Needless to say, I couldn't possibly recommend the product to any client.

What was even more distressing was the phone call I received from TAC this afternoon.  I am running into an intermittent problem where too many DTMF digits are collected by UCC Server (basically breaking DISA and SNR) and since the problem is only intermittent I can't collect a clean set of logs from the server for TAC to analyze... And since I am unable to consistently produce the problem I was advised that the problem was basically impossible to troubleshoot.

Cisco, I love you guys and all that you've done for the small business community over the past few years, but you really missed the mark with Call Connector.  Even if the software were to stabilize and work the way it should it would be difficult to recover from this product's poor track record.  If there is anyone at Cisco interested in the issues I've been having recently I would be happy to send along the TAC case number.

Cole

David Trad Wed, 08/26/2009 - 18:40

Hi Cole,

We had to turn a deal down a UC520 deal this week specifically because
the customer would have required Call Connector to address all their
needs.

I get scared when a client says they want it, i go right out of my way to avoid talking about it or bringing it into any discussion, to be frank UCC can take away any proffits you make on the sale simply from support time, and it would be wrong an unethical to charge the customer to support the product when clearly it has issues, i can not bring myself to do it.

It makes the solution very hard to pitch when there are much cheaper
products that have these features built into the base system... Not to
mention reliability problems.

As above, i do not raise it up as a possible product, if they want Click to Call i just show them how to use Cisco TAPI in outlook, that is somewhat reliable, it has it's issues but that is also due to Outlook and the way it does things.

David, if you have two deployments hinging on UCC working I would run for the hills.  It is a support nightmare.

I have forewarned my wife to be prepared for some late nights and a frustrated husband, she will know to avoid me for a while :)

However Cole, the thing with me is if i decide to take a journey i follow it through all the way, in this instance i decided 2 years ago to take on the Cisco Journey when i was working in the Open Source space, and for taking that journey i have comitted myself to the Cisco story, the product and all or any problems that are associated with it, it is the consequences of being comitted to the cause, there is no point in being half hearted about it, and i refuse to put myself in a love hate relationship with Cisco, and i also wont let the troubles of UCC deter me from telling the full story of Cisco products, for me its just about making the client aware of some of the pitfalls before they happen, you tend to get a greater appreciation from the client by doing so.

I just forewarn people now, UCC and Office 2007......,errr this is grey hair terratory, and if you are loosing your hair expect that to become a rapid loss

Cheers,

David.

And here I thought I was the only one......

I have UCC Server and client working now, but like you say it was hit and miss, admin rights needed here and there, no good traces/logs, and almost impossible to install.

Luckily I did get good support from one engineer and they provided me with a wipe file to remove the trial license information from the registry. I think Cisco either bought or licensed the product so I think it's future is also in question (Maybe a program manager can chime in).

I would love to see the problems and fixes posted here as I think we could all help each other (for the clients sake, and some of our hair ;D )

I just posted a question about licensing so we'll see if I get my answer.

It really amazes me the huge gap from the enterprise space to the SMB space. The enterprise space has it's challanges to, but the collaboration/communications products are so far advanced.

Don't give up....

Bob James

greenturtlesteak Wed, 08/26/2009 - 21:33

Hi David,

I am right there with you on the sales and support issues associated with UCC.  When a client asks for it I immediately start dancing away from the topic.  If the functions that UCC provides are critical to the operation of business I will turn the deal down all together.

As a consultant it is my job to recommend solutions that are going to help streamline business processes.  Given the experiences I have had with UCC in a small lab environment I shudder to think of what might happen in a larger production environment. 

This does not deter me from telling the Cisco story and selling all of their other products though.  I have always been a fan of Cisco because they have always made a better product.  Every customer I have using Cisco products is a happy one.  And as a VAR no other company has come remotely close to Cisco in providing resources and support to the us than any other of our closest partners, including Microsoft.

I just really hope there is a reliable remedy forthcoming.

Cole

David Trad Wed, 08/26/2009 - 21:39

Hi Cole,

I just really hope there is a reliable remedy forthcoming.

I have complete confidence in them in that they will yield the goods :)

I remember at one seminar seeing this really cool collaboration suite, it looked like a Hybrid of Webex and UCC in one, with the exception it looked amazingly polished and usefull.

What i am not sure is if this was an application being worked on , or if it was something created in photoshop and they were just showing the anticipated application.

I just hope that it was not a dream and i avoid emabrassing myself  :)       

Cheers,

David.

stalukder Fri, 08/28/2009 - 10:46

Hi David:

I have attached a UCC client partner training presentation. Hope this helps with the installation and configuration of the clients. I am interested in getting your inputs on the issues you are running into and what we can do to improve them.

Thanks

Click here to download the CallConnector Client Partner Training (login required)

Thanks - good to know :)

I had actually set up the system with one of the sample config files, and made a couple of changes (I don't remember which ones exactly off-hand), and then tried to access it with CCA 1.9(1). This kept crashing on the Telephony section with a Java "nullException" error, so I gave up on the CCA.

However, if using CCA is the only way to get TAPI to work, I may have to reconfigure the unit (not a big problem, it's a test system we're evaluating).

Is there a version of CCA that I should be using instead (eg, one more stable or robust with the Telephony options)?

Thanks again.

greenturtlesteak Thu, 08/27/2009 - 07:52

You should use CCA 2.0(1).  There are a lot of great enhancements in this version over the one you are using.

Cole

stalukder Thu, 08/27/2009 - 19:15

Hi David:

We would like to understand the issues you have run in to with the UCC solution. There is a UCC 1.5.1 build, now avaiable in limited release form. It has additional support for the Australia/New Zealand dialing rules.

Thanks

UCC Team

stalukder Thu, 08/27/2009 - 18:58

Hi Glen:

The basic configuration requirement to enable a TAPI connection to the IP Phone is the username and password have to be configured for the ephone. The TAPI session is established when an application - such as the UCC client starts the CME TAPI driver.

The UCC client has three components  - a popup application and components that run within the IE browser and Outlook. For Outlook, most folks have a single login profile, if so you need only select the default MAPI profile to access the Outlook contact data. To view the UCC toolbar in IE, right-click on the browser toolbar and enable the CallConnector Toolbar.

Note you will need to have the dialing options setup for the location , outside access code and the extension masks. This can be done from within the Popup Options window.

Thanks

stalukder Fri, 08/28/2009 - 16:41

Thank you. That is a good suggestion. On each major release, we do go through and try to clear as many of the caveats as possible.

UCC Team

David Trad Fri, 08/28/2009 - 16:50

Hi stalukder

I will forward on that link to the presentation to my colleagues as well, and we will see if we can organise the time to go over it together.

I will work on some information for you laying out the issues we have come across and on what platforms.

Please be aware that in our office we all use Windows 7 and have done now for 6 months + UCC works quite well with it, but not so well with office 2007, the intermitten crashes and lock-ups are somewhat frustrating.

I hope to have something for you soon.

Cheers,

David.

stalukder Fri, 08/28/2009 - 17:10

We look forward to your inputs. If you have half a dozen or so collagues or if there more general interest, we can schedule some on-line training sessions. The last such sessions were held in the earlier part of this year.

Most customers now using Office 2007 and we are not seeing issues with it. My own environment is Vista and Office 2007. We have also been testing the clients/servers on Windows 7. If you could send us the trace logs on such occurance (you can send them through the report problem option in the UCC toolbar under the Cisco icon) or we can setup a debug session to isolate the problem.

I would recommend update to the pre-release 1.5.1 version as well.

Thanks

UCC Team

David Trad Sun, 08/30/2009 - 20:56

Hi stalukder,

I would recommend update to the pre-release 1.5.1 version as well.

Can you pleasae point me to the right place to download this version? I have tried now twice and am unable to find this version.

Also did you release this as a new server version as well? We really need to get it to work in a VM enviroment without having to hack the crappers out of it.

Cheers,

David.

stalukder Wed, 09/02/2009 - 12:11

Hi David:

I will email the download link directly to you.

Both the client and server 1.5.1 versions are available for download. With respect to VMware, the 1.5.1 version does require some changes to settings to enable working in the VMWare environment. I will send you a file/instructions for that as well.

Version 2.0 server does have support for VMWare built-in.

Thanks

UCC Team

greenturtlesteak Wed, 09/02/2009 - 13:57

Hi Shahryar,

Could you please email me the document to get UCC to work with VMWare as well?  This offers great flexibility and I'm happy support for this is being added.

Cole

David Trad Wed, 09/02/2009 - 15:56

Hi stalukder

Hi David:

I will email the download link directly to you.

I appreciate this a lot and look forward to seeing these links :)

NOTE: I have Private Messaged you to make sure that the links get sent to the right locations, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Version 2.0 server does have support for VMWare built-in.

As soon as there is a Field Test on this version.. PLEASE...PLEASE..PLEASE sign me up for this, as this is quite a critical thing, we loose deals very often to competitors because of this.

The problem we have is that Cisco in all their advertising material promote Unified Communications, UCC and other integration, but when they can not be delivered or even demonstrated we often get egg on our faces, and as a consequences loose some large deals or have to recompense clients, smaller deals <15 seats don't really look at this stuff so it is not such a problem.

I know and understand that the UC-500 is targeted to Small business, but here in Australia Small business is considered anything <10 seats maximum 20 seats, anything above that is normally SME and no longer is in the SMB range, its this market that the UC-500 is really taking a shining even if it does not do SRST, it is still quite a powerfully system, and UCC can be one of its greatest selling points.

I hope this provides some idea as to what struggles we can expect in the market, allthough it is not very clear i am sure you can understand.

Cheers,

David.

stalukder Thu, 09/03/2009 - 11:21

Hi David:

I am working on posting the download links for the 1.5.1 updates. We will work closely with you and the partners to ensure that the UCC solutions are a solid, reliable offering for your customers.

We are working on bringing the UCC 2.0 updates to beta in the near term. I will pass on your request to be added to the beta test list. If you have any specific items that you would like enhanced in UCC, please do let me know.

Thank you,

UCC Team

shtalukd Fri, 02/26/2010 - 14:34

Hi David:

We have posted 1.5.1 which is the bug fix update to 1.5.0 to CCO. It can be downloaded from

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/Redirect.x?mdfid=280804498

We plan to post 1.6 next week. The UCC Server 1.6 has been introduced earlier (as opposed to 2.0). Both the Server components and the administrative tool have been significantly upgraded and a new Configuration Manager utility provides the GUI interface for UCC configuration.

I will update you when this has posted as well

UCC Team

nremmer Thu, 09/03/2009 - 08:56

Please can you also send me the links to download 1.5.1 -  just checked on the Cisco web sit and it still show 1.5.0.23

mbram1313 Fri, 02/26/2010 - 14:06

Stupid question: is UCC the only product that will interface to the UC500 regarding CTI? Is the TAPI industry standard, as with other TDM PBX/KSU units? I am trying to interface CCME with SAP's Business One ERP on either a UC500 or 290x ISR. Simple call pops and call accounting. Does anyone know if there is an SDK out there? Thanks a bunch.

shtalukd Fri, 02/26/2010 - 14:23

Hi Mathew:

The UCC client uses the CME TSP and therefore Windows TAPI to communicate with the UC5xx or the ISR. The CME TSP can also be downloaded from CCO. Thereare a number of integrations with the CME TSP including Outlook, the CallConnectors for Salesforce and MS-CRM also use the CME TSP. There have been a number of third-party application integration with the CME TSP.

However you cannot use two TAPI application concurently with the TSP. Are you having a specific problem with your integration?

UCC Team

mbram1313 Fri, 02/26/2010 - 15:27

Shtalukd: Thanks for getting back so soon. We are looking at integration possibilities between CME and SAP Business One. Is there an SDK that we can develop from for this integration. TAPI 2.0 is supposed to be open source, right? Thanks a ton...Matt

Actions

This Discussion