Helpful
Replies

QoS in Tunnel Interface

snarayanaraju
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Experts,

I request you to share the concept Why

"Cisco IOS logical interfaces (Tunnel Interface) do not inherently support a state of congestion and do not support the direct application of a service policy that applies a queuing method"

I know that a child policy-map X has to be created and and must be applied as a service policy in another policy-map Y

I tried and not able to get why it is not supported.

Thanks in advance

RBK

3 Replies 3

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

As the tunnel interfaces are virtual - normal QoS will not work.

You need to look at Shaping & Policing for tunnel QoS.

HTH>

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I am aware that it is virtual interface and do not support QoS natively.

My doubt is why the child policy-map is been insisted to be used to make QoS work?

Thanks

sairam

The child policy isn't needed unless you intend to support a CBWFQ policy. Then, since CBWFQ needs to "know" bandwidth, it uses a shaper, in a parent policy, to "define" the bandwidth, which the child policy then uses. (BTW, would need to double check, but the CBWFQ [HQF] starting with 12.4.20T, I recall, has some improved/changed support for tunnel QoS.)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card