cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

APs go into standalone but don't recover

smoyer
Level 1
Level 1

We have an issue of APs losing communication to the WLC, going into standalone mode and not completely returning to LWAPP mode once communication is restored. The controller is a 4404 running version 5.2.178.0. The WLC is at our corporate office and the APs are scattered around the country at small sales offices. We are running H-REAP to the 1242 series APs.

If the WAN link drops or the site loses power, the AP loses communication to the WLC (obviously). When the WAN/power restores, the AP restores communication to the WLC, but clients connecting get 0.0.0.0 as an IP. The local router at the site hands out the DHCP addresses. The fix has been to bounce the PoE switch port or rebbot the AP from the WLC. Removing power to the AP is the best recovery right now. Any ideas how to fix this issue? Thanks

3 Replies 3

dancampb
Level 7
Level 7

Sounds like bug CSCsx80603. You might want to test the 6.0 version.

The Bug ID Toolkit isn't allowing me to see the details of the bug.

Information contained within bug ID CSCsx80603 is only available to Cisco employees. It is our policy to make all externally-facing bugs available in Bug Toolkit so the system administrators have been automatically alerted to the problem. By choosing to save this bug, you may be notified when the decision to make this bug available to you has been made. Note: Some product enhancement requests and documentation error bugs may not be available in Bug Toolkit.

I contacted my Cisco Rep regarding the above mentioned Bug ID and was told that the bug is tied to version 6 of the WLC code. So that doesn't pertain to me since I am using version 5.

Has anybody else experienced the issue of clients not getting an IP address after the AP is required to re-establish communication to the WLC?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card