Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Upgrade 3560 with Bin file.

luisveraza
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Do you know how to upgrade a 3560 switch from IP base to IP service with a Bin file ?.

Thank you.

16 Replies 16

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Upgrade the license for the switch then download the appropriate file from CCO into flash , change the boot statement and reload.

How do you upgrade the license for the switch ?.

Thank you.

If this is in reference to a non -E 3560, don't believe any license file is involved.

If you place a bin image in the root of the flash, and the bootvar doesn't point to another valid image, believe the 3560 (non -E) will boot the first valid image. (BTW, it's possible you won't have sufficient flash space for more than one image. If not, you'll need to free the flash space first. Bin image can be copied to flash using tftp or ftp.)

there is no license for the switch, just download the bin file and load it on the switch and you will be ready to go.

Set the bootvar with:

boot system flash:xxx.bin where xxx.bin is the filename you want to boot your switch with.

You learn something new everyday. If there is no license why would anyone just buy ipbase then ?? There is no added value if you can upgrade without paying for it . I know that's cisco marketing question.. :-)

My understanding, there is a license, it's just that the non -E 3560s don't enforce it (much like ISRs).

The value of paying for the license, avoids the usually more costly issue of using non-licensed software (if so discovered).

PS:

BTW, Lucien and you are correct about updating the bootvar, but I believe if it's not properly updated, or left null, the bootstrap uses the first valid IOS found (at least in the root dir?). If my belief is correct, it saves you the step of maintaining the bootvar, although as Lucien shows, the command to update it is simple. (If there is more than one valid IOS image, though, the bootvar lets you explicitly choose which one you want to use.)

Hi,

Thank to all by your support.

You're right Joseph, I just put this command:

BOOT path-list : flash:c3560-ipbasek9-mz.122-40.SE/c3560-ipbasek9-mz.122-40.SE.bin

This way, the router could start with new IOS.

The configuration that I needed is working perfect.

Best regards, Luis.

Sorry, It was:

boot system flash:c3560-ipbasek9-mz.122-40.SE/c3560-ipbasek9-mz.122-40.SE.bin

Best regards.

Lucien,

11 years later and your comment below is still saving the world.  Well my piece of the world anyway.

THANK YOU!!!!!

Art

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Quote:

Replied by: ediortiz - Network Consulting Engineer, Cisco Systems, CCIE - Aug 31, 2009, 11:19am PSTNew Message!

S vs E is for the SKU ordering process as the image to be loaded on the hardware. The physical switch will be the same whether you order WS-C3560-24TS-S or WS-C3560-24TS-E.

As you are planning to upgrade to Advanced IP Services, keep in mind that without paying for the license upgrade, you will be violating software licensing agreement...

Thats what I thought , previous posts here didn't make sense about the licensing. So whats the official word on this? Seems to be 2 different opinions here from cisco moderators .

Glen

There is no actual license file that is used in the same way that application software uses licenses. You can indeed just download the IP Services .bin file, load it on your switch and boot up and it will be running IP Services.

However if you haven't paid for it ie. you have only paid for IP Base, you are actually violating the software licensing agreement as Edison says ie. the bit you click "Agree" when you download the image and your are liable for the additional amount.

Whether or not Cisco chase you for this is neither here nor there, you are still breaking the agreement.

Jon

Right I understand there isn't a license per se , but if you bought base and install ipservices without paying for it then that's against their policy is all that i was saying .

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As far as I know, the 3560/3750 (non-E) have walked away from the previous method of upgrading from SMI to EMI by using a hardware chip insert like 3550 series.

I have read somewhere that buyers who want to upgrade after the unit have been delivered has to enter a command in CLI for this to happen.

Cisco ain't stup1d with the 3550 back then and sure ain't stup1d now.

I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, the command in enable mode is license install and sh license.

Cisco IOS Software Activation Command Reference

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/csa/command/reference/csa_03.html

". . . correct me if I'm wrong . . ."

For non -E variants of the 3560/3750 series, my experience has also been what Jon notes, the platform will run the installed software. No other action is required.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card