cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading from Sup 1 to Sup2 on MDS 9500

fmirza007
Level 1
Level 1

I have been tasked with upgrading the switch from sup1 to sup2 on a 9500 switch. Can anyone direct me to a comprehensive document for this particular task. Also are there any Gotchas that I should be aware off.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Michael Brown
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The answer depends on what how you want to do it. The process is not as simple as save my config from the sup1 then load it onto the sup2.

My advice is to save the config off to a text file. Get the new sup2 in place, and then use a command line session and cut/paste the config portions from the text file into the session while in config mode.

This way you can omit specific lines from the confiig like the boot parameters. They will change between sup1 and sup2 because the image names are different for the 2.

If you have AIX or HP-UX in the mix, you may need to determine the current domain IDs and statically configure them to match in the sup2.

I would also save the zoning information from each VSAN into the configuration before saving the config to the text file.

The documented process is at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/mds9000/sw/4_1/upgrade/guide/upgrade.html#wp249037

Hope this helps,

Mike

Ok I see, Cisco has a method to upgrade without saving the configuration off the switch. But does that mean that sup1 has to have the same SAN OS then sup2?

Thanks

Farhan