cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4948 Management Interface

Rick Morris
Level 6
Level 6

I am new to setting this up and have had a hard time finding any information on this.

Can someone help point me in the right direction?

I was thinking this interface is used for, well management!

I configured an IP, cabled it in to the core switch and cannot ping it or telnet to it?

Any ideas?

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Rick

The management port on the 4948 is only available when the switch is in ROMMON mode. When it is in use ie. in ROMMON mode you can access it via it's IP address but when the switch is up and running it is not useable.

Jon

I am able to get it to work now. I am still a little baffled by it. When I use a management network it does not work. I am sure it is a routing deal. If I use a network that it is attached to, for instance the next hop interface is a switch access port with vlan of the workstations. If I use an available IP out of that block and assign it to the management interface fa1 I can telnet to it.

Okay, that's a bit weird as Cisco state that the management port is not useable when the device is up and running - apologies for that info.

I suspect from your description it is a routing issue, perhaps the issue is that when the switch is up and running it does have a default-gateway or route that is useable by the management interface.

Jon

I am still fumbling my way through it and you are probably right. It could also be one of those cisco things that works but they don't tell you about.

I just found out today that IP Base IOS has BGP as a standard now, when even the documentation I read today says it is not...I could be a juniper world very soon!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card