Views
Helpful
Replies

3550 Switch

n.abeysekara
Level 1
Level 1

Hi...Soluters..!!!

Thing I have got a 3550 switch and after connecting to the pc thru a console cable I cant see anything except scrambles(like THESE SYMBLES ###@%%%^^^*^&& )

8 Replies 8

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

It is possible that the speed of the console port has been changed to a different value than the default 9600bps. Try setting your terminal software to different speeds from 1200bps to 115200bps. Each time after you change your COM port speed in the terminal software, try hitting the Enter a few times to see if the switch responds normally. If it does not, proceed to another speed.

When you found the speed, you may retain it or revert back to the 9600bps by issuing these commands:

conf t

line con 0

speed 9600

After you enter the last line, the switch will stop responding again. Reconfigure your terminal software to use 9600bps and you should be fine and back to defaults.

Best regards,

Peter

Hey...Thanks..Peter

Bt the things is I have already done that....Bt still not working....and the system bulb(indicator) is blinking everytime...and the state indicator is on, bt others are off...Wt would b the problem...

Hello Nuwan,

If the System LED is blinking then the switch is in POST. After you leave the switch running for a couple of minutes, what is the state of LEDs? Also note the color of the LED, not just its state.

Is it perhaps possible to telnet in that switch? Have you tried testing the CDP traffic on its ports to reveal its IP address?

If you can afford losing the current configuration of the switch I would also recommend trying the Express Setup mode described here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3550/hardware/quick/guide/3550GSG.html#wp49930

There is of course a possibility that the switch has been roasted. In that case, not much can be done :-\

Best regards,

Peter

Hey..!!buddy

I ddnt go thru it...I'll go thru it and send u a reply...

Thanx

Regards

Nuwan

Hey...Peter !!

No men..Big problem..Although the switch keeps on whole day, its still the same..System led is blinking and other bulbs are in green color and keeps on...Not even blinking..And the other thing is even can't telnet & cdp trafic is not working..Although I move with a console cable, I can see nothing except those scrambles(###$%%%^^^^^^--&&%$%...)

And the other thing is Im not allow to goto the link that you have sent me..And I heard that this switch hasn't got a IOS instaled...Wt could be my solution...??? Is it roasted or...??

Is the switch in production? Have you checked my post with the settings for putty or hyperterminal?

What happens if you power cycle the switch, if it's not in production?

Hey..!!

Ya...Man...Bt Nothing hapend...Sad

I forget it.. Its ok..

Redards

Nuwan

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

If you use putty and you console, use the default settings.

If you use hyperterminal, go and make sure you click on defaults settings for the serial connection and it should be fine.

Else try to clear your com port on your pc and try again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card