Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet Capture From Cisco IP Phone

karthiksr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I took a packet capture from the Cisco IP Phone 7941G. When i analyze them, it was all like ARP, XID, TCP, STP, etc packets captured. But i didn't find any RTP or Skinny or any voice related packets.

The procedure i followed was

"Enabling the Span to PC port feature on the 7941, 7961, or 7970 phone. In order to do that, find the phone in CCM and, on the Device page at the very bottom in the Product Specific Configuration Layout, enable Span to PC Port and reset the phone".

I used Wireshark. FYI. I have disabled all the firewall and monitoring tools in the PC while capturing.

Can u pl suggest why the relevent packets are not being captured.

Regds

Karthik

11 Replies 11

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Did you see any packet sourced or destined to the phone ?

On the phone:

Settings->Device Settings->Ethernet Configuration->Span To PC Port = Yes?

If not, your phone isn't downloading the configuration file, or your CUCM isn't writing the file correctly. Try resetting the TFTP service if needed.

If it is set to yes, type 'udp' as your wireshark filter.

It sounds like the answer to the configuration is 'no' since most of the traffic you listed is broadcast.

-nick

Thanks bevilacqua and Nicholos.

I am sorry Bevilacqua, can you pl tell me how to check whether the packets are sourced or destined.

Yes, once i enabled the Span to PC port on Phone Config page of CUCM, it mutually reflected in the IP Phone.

I need to check restarting the TFTP/CCM service before taking packet capture.

I am attaching the Pac.file for your kind infgormation.

Regds

Karthik

Let'stake a step back since evidently you not a network professional.

Why you want to capture traffic, which problem are you trying to solve ?

I have noise buzzing issue when i turn on the speaker mode during conversation in 7941G. I tried with upgrading the firmware and CUCM 6.1.4 from 6.1.3. Still i faced the issue. So, took a step futher in diagonising the packets from the IP Phone during the call.

When attempted to get the packets from the IP Phone with the method i specified.

But i am not getting the voice packets rather.

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&type=Subscriptions&loc=.2cd45ae9/1&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=IP%20Telephony

Sorry, I didn't knew what made you to think like that. I would request for a justification.

Regds

Karthik

Here's the justification - if I say "sourced or destined" and you don't understand what I mean, unlikely you're a professional.

Now regarding your problem, it's a phone firmware bug, fixed in the very vet latest versions, if you go back in the forum few days you will find discussion about it.

Pl take a look at the first startup conversation.

I have said that

-->" i didn't find any RTP or Skinny or any voice related packets."

I thought you have understood that this also mean that the neither the IP Address of the IP Phone or IP Address of the CUCM (which are sourced or destined) not found in the Packet capture which gives the answer. So, i didn't take a step to explain which i meant in a single line.

If this is the answer you were expecting for your question "Did you see any packet sourced or destined to the phone ?" Then certainly i might not have understood your question properly.

I have already tried with the latest firmware and as i said i have even upgraded to latest 6.1.4 which released on Aug 25th. But didn't solve my problem.

Regds

Karthik

Let's not polemize further.

My understanding is that for now only the TAC can give a FW that fixes the problem, zo either ask them, or downgrade.

Ya Thanks, i shall have this checked with TAC by raising a case.

But, Can u able to find what may be the cause for this packet cap. May be this will be useful for any troubleshooting in the future or just incase if TAC needs to troubleshoot with the packet capture.

Regds

Karthik

Ya Thanks, i shall have this checked with TAC by raising a case.

But, Can u able to find what may be the cause for this packet cap. May be this will be useful for any troubleshooting in the future or just incase if TAC needs to troubleshoot with the packet capture.

Regds

Karthik

Not sure. Perhaps, another bug in the FW. They have many.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: