Views
Helpful
Replies

Activate VPN Client on PC connected via RemoteDeskTop

joe.favia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've got to activate the Cisco VPN Client from a PC that I reach via Remote DeskTop. Unfortunately, the VPN client isolates the PC once the VPN is set up and therefore locks out my RemoteDeskTop connection. Is there a way to avoid this behaviour? I just want to use the VPN to reach some servers behind a Cisco VPN Concentrator. I don't want any personal Firewall functionality. If it can't be done, I'll have to use another client software (MicroSoft VPN for example), but I'd prefer the Cisco IPSEC solution. Can anyone suggest other VPN Clients for XP? Thanks, Joe

5 Replies 5

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Enable split tunneling so that only traffic destined for these particular hosts crosses the VPN tunnel. See the following link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2284/products_configuration_example09186a00806f34fa.shtml

Hope this helps.

Brandon

Can I define this on the VPN client? The VPN server is not mine and I don't think we can impose configuration details. From what I read the link refers to accessing the local LAN (or the Internet), but my goal is to be accessed from the LAN via RemoteDeskTop. Thanks, Joe

It would need to be configured on the VPN concentrator. What happens now is once the VPN is connected all traffic is sent over the tunnel. Therefore, your RDP traffic gets dropped. With split tunneling, only traffic destined for the remote hosts would traverse the tunnel.

Brandon

The RDP traffic is incoming to the VPN Client, not outgoing to some other PC. Split tunneling would handle this too?

Joe

Yes it would. The issue you are experiencing now comes from the fact that once the VPN client is connected all traffic gets sent over the tunnel. So, the PC has no way to communicate with the RDP connected machine and drops the connection.

Brandon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: