cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 802.3ad - cross stacked etherchannel

wilson_1234_2
Level 3
Level 3

Does the 6509 support 802.3ad - cross stacked etherchannel?

12 Replies 12

jbrenesj
Level 3
Level 3

Do you mean having a 802.3ad channel using ports of different modules, i.e gi3/1 and gi4/1?

If so, are they the same model?

Yes,

Also the same Module, but on two different 6509 switches to another device?

Would it work on different modules?

Richard

Yes you can setup etherchannel with LACP across different modules within the same chassis on a 6500 subject to the standard provisos about etherchannel port restrictions ie. they must be same speed etc...

Jon

You can group ports from different modules within the same device.

Of course the interfaces must run at the same speed as Jon said and one more thing I would like to add is that sometimes the modules have different QoS queuing types then you must disable the following on the port-channel interface:

no mls qos channel consistency

Thanks Guys.

What would be the cheapest Cisco switch that would support the cross stack etherchannel?

Richard

The 3750 switch supports cross stack etherchannel. Thats the switch you need to go for.

Just to clarify though. 802.3ad = LACP and not cross stack etherchannel. So there are cheaper switches that support LACP but not cross stack etherchannel.

Jon

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Richard

802.3ad is LACP (Link Aggregation Control Protocol) which is an IEEE standard for forming etherchannels.

Cross stacked etherchannel can be used on the 3750 switches where the member ports of an etherchannel can be on different members of the stack.

Obviously the 6500 doesn't stack so in normal operation where you have a pair of 6500's connected via a trunk you could not connect a switch via etherchannel to both switches using the the same etherchannel.

But with VSS, the 6500 switches now support MEC (Multichassis etherchannel) which would allow you to connect a switch to a pair of 6500 switches using the same etherchannel.

Jon

Jon,

Would the "Cross Stack" allow me to create one end of the ether channel across the 3750 stack and the other end to an aggregate server connection?

Or do both ends have to be on 3750 stacks?

Richard

No, both ends do not need to be on 3750 stacks. So you can use cross stack on one end of the etherchannel on a 3750 stack and then standard etherchannel ie. from a single device, whether that be a switch or a host, on the other end.

Jon

Thanks Jon, I found it in the Configuration Examples.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco