cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS Class Handling Accross Two MPLS providers

emmanuel_s
Level 1
Level 1

I'm working in an enterprise environment wherein we manage CE routers. The video over IP traffic have paths accross 2 Svc. Provider's MPLS cloud. Wherein we have CE routers in between 2SP MPLS cloud.

My question is regarding PHB (AFxy) assignment for Video Traffic. In Svc. Provider#1, we have assigned AF11 for video. But in Svc. Provider#2, we can't use AF11 since it's already in use. Thus we are looking to use AF21 since it's currently not used.

Will the video traffic accross two MPLS cloud have problems if we use different AFxy assignment? Or can this be resolved by Marking corssing Video traffic again on our CE routers between the 2 MPLS clouds? Thanks in advance for those who will reply

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Emmanuel,

>> Or can this be resolved by Marking corssing Video traffic again on our CE routers between the 2 MPLS clouds?

yes this is possible so that incoming traffic with AF11 is remarked as AF21 before sending to ISP2 MPLS cloud.

The opposite has to be done on traffic received from ISP2.

In addition to marking you may want to shape or to use CBWFQ for the video traffic.

DSCP marking is just a flag that travels within packets asking for a differentiated treatment.

You need to present traffic to ISP2 as they expect it.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

HI Giuseppe, thanks a lot for your help, I can now start doing this strategy and monitor Video traffic on our next testing.

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Emmanuel,

If marking at your CE routers is preserved to your egress node through the MPLS core, then it would be easily remarked.

Marking a packet is not an issue, the issue depends on how you treat those marked packets. If you mark one end with AF11 and another with AF21 then make both have same QoS policy treatment.

HTH

Mohamed

HI Mohamed, thanks a lot for your suggestions. I will check with our SP's if our Markings is preserved and treated to our egress node.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: