cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

trunking: switchport nonegotiate

Wassim Aouadi
Level 4
Level 4

I read that in order to disable sending DTP frames, we issue "switchport nonegotiate".

But, why do we need it if we already specified that the port is in access or tunk mode already? setting a port to access or trunk disables trunk negotiation, doesn't it?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Wassim,

A port statically set to trunk mode still sends DTP packets to inform the other side to also activate the trunk mode. Only a port set to access mode does not send DTP packets.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Wassim,

A port statically set to trunk mode still sends DTP packets to inform the other side to also activate the trunk mode. Only a port set to access mode does not send DTP packets.

Best regards,

Peter

Peter

Now you've got me confused -

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=LAN%2C%20Switching%20and%20Routing&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40^1%40%40.2cd45326/0#selected_message

ie. my understanding is non-negotiate stops the port sending DTP frames which is what you put in your previous thread but not this one.

Please help me out :-)

Jon

Hi Jon,

I am sorry if I confused you. Still, I am not sure in what way I have created a confusion. Can you be more specific?

Hoping to read from you soon.

Best regards,

Peter

Peter

"Only a port set to access mode does not send DTP packets."

A port set to trunk mode ie. "switchport mode trunk" and then set to nonegotiate as well does not send DTP frames.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Oh, yes, that is correct. I was merely replying to the original post context where Wassim asked: "setting a port to access or trunk disables trunk negotiation, doesn't it?" - and I answered only within context of this question. It is true that my answer here is not as exhaustive as my earlier post you have indicated.

Sorry once again for creating confusion, and thanks very much indeed for pointing it up!

Best regards,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: