cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Good (wireless) internet, but poor local wireless performance WRVS4400N

eelcoaartsen
Level 1
Level 1

In short: I have a good wireless connection with the internet. But when I want to connect between two computers in the network the performance is VERY slow. I connected one of the computers wired and the performance was good.

I have Firmware Version: V1.1.08-ETSI

I've tried several options XP<->XP, XP<->HDX-1000, XP<->Vista. But always the same, when wired OK, when wireless BAD.

I'm running out of options here, please help!

Eelco

6 Replies 6

David Carr
Level 6
Level 6

Try a different wireless channel and see if the wireless on the lan side improves.

AuroraBorealis
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

you should try an alternate firmware, perhaps LC 1.1.13-ETSI. This new firmware has a new driver for the MARVELL wireless chipset with dramatic improvements for wireless speed and connection stability.

You can also take a look at this page for further options.

Best regards

ntarazi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I would recommend that you upgrade your router to the latest code (_fw_v1.1.13) which is posted on the web at the link below

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9931/index.html . The new code had some improvements on the Wireless

Thanks all for the support. I've installed              V1.1.13-ETSI, but, things only got worse:

Connection between all computers is very slow. And that is XP<->XP, XP<->Vista, XP<->HDX-1000 (linux Network Media Tank), Vista<->HDX-100.

And first internet speed was OK. But when I started a file transfer from XP to Vista, Internet but dropped till ZERO. The file upload was slow (0 till max 100 Kibs). Internet on another XP machine dropped as well, even the wireless connection disconnected, but came back after killing the file transfer.

On the XP machine where I did the transfer I, the wireless connection stayed, but I had to reset the machine to get internet back.

So to write this message I had to reset machines etc. Does anybody have any suggestion?

Hello,

after a firmware update it helps often to reset the configuration to factory defaults. Theis prodeure may help:

1. Disconnect all wireless connected PC's.
  2. Save your old configuration "RouterCfg.cfg" to a save place.
  3. Reset the WRV to "Factory defaults".
  4. After the router finished the reboot login with user "admin" and passwd "admin".
  5. Now you can restore the configuration "RouterCfg.cfg" saved in the 1st step.

If that is not helpfull you should use the following test sequence:

1. Disconnect all wireless connected PC's.
  2. Enable the "Wireless isolation within SSID" feature
  3. Connect all wireless PC's.
  4. Download a large file from all wirelless connected PC's simultaneously.
  5. Measure the download speed.
  6. Disconnect all wireless connected PC's.
  7. Disable the "Wireless isolation within SSID" feature.
  8. Connect all wireless PC's.
  9. Download a large file from all wirelless connected PC's simultaneously.
  10. Measure the download speed.
  11. Copy a file between the wireless connected PC's.
  12. Measure the copy speed.
  13. Report the reults to that forum.

Best regards

@AuroraBorealis: Thanks, I'll give it a try. Although it already took me to much time this, that I'm considering buying another router or pulling wires through my apparment ;)

I'll let you know the result (sooner or later), cheers!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: