Views
Helpful
Replies

IPM Collector - Stuck on configuring

tech_trac
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I defined DefaultIpEcho collector between CAT65K (source) and GSS, CAT65K (source) and ASA. But in both cases the collector status is showing as 'configuring'.

What does it imply.

Thanks.

18 Replies 18

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This could simply mean you need to force a refresh of the Collector Management screen. However, it could indicate a problem with the SNMP read-write credentials in DCR, configuration on the switch, or the software running on the switch.

CAT65K is running 12.2(33)SXH3 which support "ip sla monitor" commands.

Is SNMP read only string sufficient for IPM or is write string mandatory.

If I need to modify the device credentials and do the changes in DCR via Common Services would it automatically be picked by device listing in RME, IPM, HUM etc or is there a refresh mechanism for these modules.

Now the IPM Collectors are stuck on "deleting" after I deleted couple of them. How can these by removed from the list.

Try restarting Daemon Manager, or try adding the missing credentials, then see if the collectors can be deleted.

You must have SNMP read-write to use IPM. Yes, as soon as you add new credentials to DCR, they will be picked up by the various applications.

I restart the Daemon Manager and then restarted the server itself. When I invoke IPM, I get the following error

Error in communicating with IPMProcess or IpmDbEngine.

It may be down or not yet up. Please make sure processes are up and running

Please assist.

You may just need to wait. It can take the daemons a good 30 minutes to fully initialize after a restart.

Ok. Its running now.

Thanks.

Will I be able to use ASA as the target device because ASA's do not support SNMP write strings. Does IPM use read-write only for the IP SLA device (Source device).

SNMP is only required for the source device. The target devices can be any IP addressable node for the icmpEcho operation.

How can I open up UDP ports (numbers) on the firewall for Default icmpJitter operation to work.

ICMP jitter uses ICMP. No UDP ports need to be open between source and target.

Ok. I will check on that.

What is the difference between operation types defaultIpecho, Echo connectionloss, Echo timeout, Echo rtt.

They all show Latency graph with the same value.

Also what is the difference between Echo and EthernetPing operation types.

Lastly, why doesn't EthernetPing show on the system-defined operation list but only user defined.

Thanks

Are you referring to reaction types? There is only one icmpEcho. There are other built-in operations to adjust the QoS for the ICMP data, but everything else is the same. The reaction types allow you to control when a reaction event is triggered (e.g. when a trap is sent). This can be if a connection loss event is detected, if the collector exceeds the pre-configured timeout, or if the total round-trip response time is above a configured threshold. A reaction configuration is optional.

Echo refers to ICMP ping. Ethernet Ping is used in metro ethernet configurations to test layer 2 connectivity over ethernet.

The Ethernet Ping requires additional configured, and a completely configured pre-built operation cannot be created.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: