Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.2 evaluation - license issue

Michal_Kepien
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I've downloaded an evaluation version of CiscoWorks LMS 3.2 from cisco.com. I went through the installation process and I'm able to get to the main portal. Yet when I click any link in the RME section (which is what I'm interested in the most), a window pops up with the message "License Server/Daemon Manager is down. Please check license.log for more information." The forementioned license.log file contains the following:

----------------------------------------

[TP-Processor2] ERROR com.cisco.nm.license.util.LicenseUtil - Error getting port information: C:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\etc\licenses\port.data

When I visit the Common Services > Server > Admin > Processes page and try to start LicenseServer manually, after a while it gets into the "Failed to run" state with a return code of -1. The LicenseServer.log file contains the following:

log4j:ERROR setFile(null,true) call failed.

java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\log\license.log (Access denied)

at java.io.FileOutputStream.openAppend(Native Method)

at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:177)

at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:102)

at java.io.FileWriter.<init>(FileWriter.java:61)

at org.apache.log4j.FileAppender.setFile(FileAppender.java:284)

at org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender.setFile(RollingFileAppender.java:198)

at org.apache.log4j.FileAppender.activateOptions(FileAppender.java:239)

at org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.activate(PropertySetter.java:247)

at org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.setProperties(PropertySetter.java:123)

at org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.setProperties(PropertySetter.java:87)

at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.parseAppender(PropertyConfigurator.java:637)

at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.parseCategory(PropertyConfigurator.java:595)

at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.parseCatsAndRenderers(PropertyConfigurator.java:522)

at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.doConfigure(PropertyConfigurator.java:412)

at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.doConfigure(PropertyConfigurator.java:309)

at org.apache.log4j.PropertyWatchdog.doOnChange(PropertyConfigurator.java:665)

at org.apache.log4j.helpers.FileWatchdog.checkAndConfigure(FileWatchdog.java:80)

at org.apache.log4j.helpers.FileWatchdog.<init>(FileWatchdog.java:49)

at org.apache.log4j.PropertyWatchdog.<init>(PropertyConfigurator.java:657)

at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.configureAndWatch(PropertyConfigurator.java:373)

at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.configureAndWatch(PropertyConfigurator.java:355)

at com.cisco.nm.license.server.LicenseServer.main(LicenseServer.java:537)

I used Process Explorer to check which program is blocking access to license.log and it turns out it is... tomcat.exe - CiscoWorks itself!

Any hints as for what can be done do to solve this issue will be highly appreciated.

4 Replies 4

Thank you for your reply. I am running Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition w/SP2 (it's actually a VMWare virtual machine). Swap file size on the C: disk is set to 6196 MB, which is more than enough, I presume.

Do you happen to have any further suggestions?

Is your VMWare one of the supported versions (VMware ESX Server 3.0.x, 3.5.x, or 3.5 Update 2) and are you running US-English as the locale?

I'm running VMware ESX Server 4.0. The operating system is Polish, I only switched all possible settings to US English in Control Panel > Regional Settings. Is this what you meant by "locale"? Or is it not enough and the whole system has to be US English?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: