Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.2 evaluation - license issue

Michal_Kepien
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I've downloaded an evaluation version of CiscoWorks LMS 3.2 from cisco.com. I went through the installation process and I'm able to get to the main portal. Yet when I click any link in the RME section (which is what I'm interested in the most), a window pops up with the message "License Server/Daemon Manager is down. Please check license.log for more information." The forementioned license.log file contains the following:

----------------------------------------

[TP-Processor2] ERROR com.cisco.nm.license.util.LicenseUtil - Error getting port information: C:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\etc\licenses\port.data

When I visit the Common Services > Server > Admin > Processes page and try to start LicenseServer manually, after a while it gets into the "Failed to run" state with a return code of -1. The LicenseServer.log file contains the following:

log4j:ERROR setFile(null,true) call failed.

java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\log\license.log (Access denied)

at java.io.FileOutputStream.openAppend(Native Method)

at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:177)

at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:102)

at java.io.FileWriter.<init>(FileWriter.java:61)

at org.apache.log4j.FileAppender.setFile(FileAppender.java:284)

at org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender.setFile(RollingFileAppender.java:198)

at org.apache.log4j.FileAppender.activateOptions(FileAppender.java:239)

at org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.activate(PropertySetter.java:247)

at org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.setProperties(PropertySetter.java:123)

at org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.setProperties(PropertySetter.java:87)

at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.parseAppender(PropertyConfigurator.java:637)

at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.parseCategory(PropertyConfigurator.java:595)

at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.parseCatsAndRenderers(PropertyConfigurator.java:522)

at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.doConfigure(PropertyConfigurator.java:412)

at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.doConfigure(PropertyConfigurator.java:309)

at org.apache.log4j.PropertyWatchdog.doOnChange(PropertyConfigurator.java:665)

at org.apache.log4j.helpers.FileWatchdog.checkAndConfigure(FileWatchdog.java:80)

at org.apache.log4j.helpers.FileWatchdog.<init>(FileWatchdog.java:49)

at org.apache.log4j.PropertyWatchdog.<init>(PropertyConfigurator.java:657)

at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.configureAndWatch(PropertyConfigurator.java:373)

at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.configureAndWatch(PropertyConfigurator.java:355)

at com.cisco.nm.license.server.LicenseServer.main(LicenseServer.java:537)

I used Process Explorer to check which program is blocking access to license.log and it turns out it is... tomcat.exe - CiscoWorks itself!

Any hints as for what can be done do to solve this issue will be highly appreciated.

4 Replies 4

Thank you for your reply. I am running Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition w/SP2 (it's actually a VMWare virtual machine). Swap file size on the C: disk is set to 6196 MB, which is more than enough, I presume.

Do you happen to have any further suggestions?

Is your VMWare one of the supported versions (VMware ESX Server 3.0.x, 3.5.x, or 3.5 Update 2) and are you running US-English as the locale?

I'm running VMware ESX Server 4.0. The operating system is Polish, I only switched all possible settings to US English in Control Panel > Regional Settings. Is this what you meant by "locale"? Or is it not enough and the whole system has to be US English?