Views
Helpful
Replies

PBR for 4 different ISPs

saimbt
Level 1
Level 1

hello gurus,

I have a single router with 4 WAN connections. I want to load share and use all the 4 WAN links. Can I configure secondary IP addresses on the router and configure PBR for these 4 next hops?

int e0/0

ip address 1

ip address 2 sec

ip address 3 sec

ip address 4 sec

ip policy route-map

route-map permit 1

match 1

set next-hop 1

route-map permit 2

match 2

set next-hop 2

route-map permit 3

match 3

set next-hop 3

route-map permit 4

match 4

set next-hop 4

route-map permit 5

-Sai.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

yagnesh_tel
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco Document on PBR states that : 'The next hop router specified in the set clauses must be adjacent to the policy router, sharing a sub-network with the policy router'. It doesn't mention anything specific about using secondary addresses.

So I assume that as long as you meet this criteria you can set next hope as secondary address.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6599/products_white_paper09186a00800a4409.shtml#wp14045

P.S: I wonder to see your setup where four ISPs are connected to same interface using secondary IPs.

View solution in original post

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sai

Having 4 WAN connections all of which seem to go out a single 10 Mb Ethernet interface seems a bit odd. And there are some syntax issues in what you have posted. But conceptually I do not see a problem with having a route map with 4 instances and each instance directing specifically identified traffic to a different outbound connection. Obviously how well it would work would depend on how well the various access lists identify the traffic for each of the outbound WAN connections.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

yagnesh_tel
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco Document on PBR states that : 'The next hop router specified in the set clauses must be adjacent to the policy router, sharing a sub-network with the policy router'. It doesn't mention anything specific about using secondary addresses.

So I assume that as long as you meet this criteria you can set next hope as secondary address.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6599/products_white_paper09186a00800a4409.shtml#wp14045

P.S: I wonder to see your setup where four ISPs are connected to same interface using secondary IPs.

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sai

Having 4 WAN connections all of which seem to go out a single 10 Mb Ethernet interface seems a bit odd. And there are some syntax issues in what you have posted. But conceptually I do not see a problem with having a route map with 4 instances and each instance directing specifically identified traffic to a different outbound connection. Obviously how well it would work would depend on how well the various access lists identify the traffic for each of the outbound WAN connections.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Please excuse my syntax, its been long since i configured anything on Cisco... this is actually a conceptual scenario which my Director posted and I confidently put forward the PBR idea. wanted to re-confirm from Gurus like you :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card