cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Guest Tracking

bschear
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking for how to track the number of wireless guest users that have used wireless during a month. I see the enterprise guest management options but that is real overkill in this situation because I only have two 1200 series autonomous APs that we want to track guest usage on.

7 Replies 7

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

WCS would be the way to go: www.cisco.com/go/wcs

Yes that would be a solution but isn't the cost about $5000 plus a server to install it on. That seems like overkill for two APs unless there is a less expensive version I am not looking at.

you could use a syslog... not pretty but its cheap...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

You can enable SNMP on the controller and look at the list of supported mibs on the controller and query them to find out which OID is for guest users.

ftp://ftp-sj.cisco.com/pub/mibs/supportlists/wlc/wlc-supportlist.html

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

RADIUS not good enough?

If you have an SNMP server, there's "snmp-server enable traps deauthenticate".

nickle
Level 1
Level 1

If you are on the technical side of things you could modify the piece of code that I wrote for a WLC to create guest accounts.  I am currently working on logging of the users that are created with this code.  Then you could simply add up the users and and have date and times.  Find the code here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/simple-swag/   The original intention of the code was a simple way for administrators to provide simple Lobby Ambassidor like function to a simple web interface and then provide customized guest user instruction page.  In the background it uses ssh to talk to the controller and setup the account. Its written in PHP so feel free to try your hand at it.

bhhanson
Level 1
Level 1

if you have the wlc it is easy to get the active users.  i have

an external authentication page that gathers information and sets it in a database guest 'log' file.

i miss the session end point as there is no event that occurs, necessarily, when a user goes away.

i also use this to check where the user is coming in from. we have many locations (clinics and hospitals, etc) and we offer guest wireless only when the facility is open otherwise the login won't be allowed.

alternatively turn on RADIUS AAA -- accounting.  I'm going to check this next but it looks like it will create entries for start and end.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card