cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

802.11n migration

c.fuller
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone tell me what benefits (if any) would be realized by migrating to 802.11n access point in an environment with no 802.11n clients?

I understand the idea of being able to migrate clients gradually, etc. But that migration is going to take many many years as we are just rolling out new .g clients on medical devices that will be around for a long time.

I am looking for benefits 802.11n APs will bring my existing a/b/g client base? At this point I am having trouble putting together a business case for the extra money the .n APs will cost.

Any input is appreciated.

4 Replies 4

dancampb
Level 7
Level 7

Obviously the main benefit is the increased speed, but you would also be getting an AP with a 10/100/1000 wired interface instead of a 10/100 interface. The 802.11n AP's also have more memory, more flash, and a faster processor.

You have the immediate benefit of improved speed/coverage for your 802.11g/a clients. Because 802.11b do not use OFDM, they would not receive the same benefits. MIMO will help your existing 80211g/a clients by providing them with a stronger/better signal in your normal coverage area.

Here's a Cisco paper on the subject (scroll down a bit):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps10092/white_paper_c11-516389.html

Thanks Robert. It seems that this client link technology only alleviates an issue created by installing 802.11n access points and running a mixed-mode environment. It does not appear to improve my existing a/g client base from what it is now. If I installed 802.11n APs then there would potentially be speed/coverage issues for those a/g clients, at which point the "Client Link" technology would alleviate it. But client link will not improve throughput on my a/g client base as it's running now over a/g APs. Does this sound right to you or am I missing something?

If you deploy 802.11n APs in an environment of only 802.11g clients, you will see performance improvement due to ClientLink (read: MIMO and MRC). You don't have to make any changes to your 802.11g clients, but you should upgrade your 802.11b clients to g (or n).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card