cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can BGP play nicely with OSPF

trodecke
Level 1
Level 1

We have a somewhat diverse network. On the "legacy" side (consisting of a dark and leased fiber "MAN", PPP circuits, and a gig fiber based LAN) we have OSPF. On the "New" side we have MPLS as a replacement for our Frame Relay infrastructure. Our telco only supports BGP as a routing protocol so we have BGP across the MPLS. The problem we're having is maintaining a consistent routing table across the BGP/OSPF boundaries. We do not redistribute OSPF into BGP. We control BGP announcements with network statements and prepending. We do however redistribute BGP into OSPF. The tricky part is that we have 4 "shared" entry points into the BGP and OSPF networks. We have 4 DS3 connections coming from the MPLS cloud going to 4 of our major data centers. We also have 4 leased fiber connections going to each of those major data centers. The leased fiber is a rung so the fiber entry point to the data centers is one VLAN. We use 3845s for the DS3 connections. The WAN side has BGP and the LAN side has OSPF. The BGP side uses one AS # for the whole shebang. We've not been able to come up with a consistently stable way to get the BGP routes into OSPF and the OSPF routes into BGP. What typically happens is what I've started calling the "Self Serving Routing Loop". Router A gets a route through OSPF and in turn, via a network statement, injects that route ingo BGP. The MPLS network, via BGP, then sends that route to Router B which dutifully picks it up and drops it into OSPF. OSPF then updates Router A which starts the process all over again. Since Router A thinks Router B is destination for the route through BGP and Router B thinks Router A is a good destination through OSPF, we wind up with a routing loop.

My question is, what is the preferred way of keeping a consistent routing table between OSPF and BGP when there are 4 shared entry points into each network? Using eBGP for the MPLS and iBGP for the LAN/MAN isn't an option due to the costs of upgrading 80+ devices to Advanced Enterprise. I apologize if this my explanation is confusing.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Terry,

You got the concept, nice job.

BTW, no need to include the metric-type 2 on the redistribution, it's done by default.

OSPF into BGP does not need 'subnets' you need 'subnets' from BGP into OSPF.

View solution in original post

35 Replies 35

johnspaulding
Level 1
Level 1

If you could make a diagram and draw out the BGP/OSPF boudary points that would help. What you would want to do is deny duplicate routes when redistributing. Its fine if your not doing mutual redistribution but you also have to be carefull about what your advertising and you Administrative distance on the devices.

Typically when redistributing from B-->O you would use a route-map permitting the specific routes that you need (either ACL, tag value,etc) and just bring those into the network. If you have Dual redistribution points than you would typically deny those tagged routes from the other device that it doing redistribution. If you could draw up a diagram this would be helpful. thanks

Thanks. We've got a far too detailed map that I'll try to simplify and post. If I'm understanding what you're saying, I think that's where we're having a problem. We do still need the duplicate routes as the BGP network is supposed to be a backup connection in case the OSPF network connections fail at the data center. In other words, Router A still needs to somehow or another know that Router B's subnets are available via BGP just in case the leased fiber connection at Router B's location fails. We've come up with a configuration that uses a route-map to limit what can come in dynamically through BGP and a static route with a higher metric for all the subnets behind the other redistribution routers. We haven't implemented it yet as we wanted to make sure that this change will be the final change and we're not overlooking anything.

I'll see if I can get the diagram posted later this afternoon. Thanks.

Awesome...If you could also include the configurations that your planning on using I could help you out with this as well. I will be waiting for the digram and your response. thanks

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you redistribute a route from BGP into OSPF a tag from the BGP AS is inserted into the route.

You can create a route-map to match on that tag and deny the redistribution from OSPF back into BGP hence avoiding the "Self Serving Routing Loop".

This design will work better if all BGP speaking routers had their own AS #. Having their own AS # will help you determine what router redistributed that route from BGP into OSPF.

Route Tagging is the most scalable solution to avoid routing loops in a complex network as yours.

__

Edison.

Is this Edison Ortiz from NYC that either is or was a Novell SysOp?

More on topic, since we use the same AS everywhere, if I understand you correctly, then we couldn't use the default tag. Is there a way to apply a tag in either in the BGP config or the network statements so that we can create a route map statement based off of that?

Oh my, Terry Rodecker - Okie boy :) How are you man?

You can apply a tag on redistribution from BGP into OSPF.

router ospf x

redistribute bgp xxx subnets tag xxx

Then this redistributed route is unique within the OSPF domain and be able to block on other BGP routers doing the redistribution back into BGP.

Good to hear from you man..

Same here Edison. E-mail me at terry dot rodecker at gmail dot com.

I apologize but this is coming to me not as fast as I'd like, if we add custom tags to the BGP redistributed routes we can block those routes from getting into the OSPF database on other routers using a route map statement? Is there a way to add tags to only some of the routes getting redistributed? In other words, tag the non-mpls routes coming in from one of the other 3845s but not the routes coming in from the MPLS only connected sites?

Boy, I really need to get that diagram posted. I'm getting confused talking about it and it's my network. ;)

I apologize but this is coming to me not as fast as I'd like,

It's Ok :)

if we add custom tags to the BGP redistributed routes we can block those routes from getting into the OSPF database on other routers using a route map statement?

You won't block those routes from entering your OSPF database but you will be able to color them with a tags. With this design, a BGP router will bring those routes from BGP into OSPF but another BGP router won't take these routes back into BGP causing this loop. You want these routes to remain in OSPF, not advertised back into BGP.

Is there a way to add tags to only some of the routes getting redistributed?

Yes, you can - with route-maps:

route-map SET-TAG permit 10

match ....

set tag xxx

route-map SET-TAG permit 20

router ospf x

redistribute bgp xxx subnets route-map SET-TAG

Edison

Apologies for butting in but the OP is not redistributing OSPF into BGP, he is using network statements so how will the tags help him ?

Jon

Initially we were redistributing OSPF into BGP but as you can imagine, we had less than stellar results as soon as we brought up the second shared connection. That's when we went to network statements. We still had issues so we added prepending using a route-map statement - any "local" routes go out with just the AS added to it, any "backup" routes get the AS prepended a certain number of times depending on if that router is the main backup, the secondary backup, or the tertiary backup for those routes. It would be nice if we could simply go back to automatically redistributing OSPF into BGP and vice versa. Over the years I've found that while you gain a large measure of control over things doing it manually, you also gain a large potential for royally messing things up. We're human and humans make mistakes. ;)

At this point in time, I'm still open to any and all ideas. To control the issue now we simply only have one DS3 currently enabled. We'll manually enable any other DS3 if we need to fail to that site. As bad as that is it's preferable to not knowing if a route to a remote site is going to be working or not when we come to work in the morning.

Terry it would be helpful if you could provide a small example of what is happening in terms of route choice and what you want to happen ie. router A sees BGP as the best path, why does router B see OSPF as the best path.

I know when i was doing something similiar ie. multiple entry points with BGP and EIGRP I ended up modifying the weight in BGP but that was to make sure BGP was used over EIGRP so it may not be applicable. Like i say, an example would be helpful.

Having said that it may also be worth waiting for Edison to come back as i may well have misunderstood what he is proposing and i've learnt it's never a good idea to underestimate Edison !!

Jon

I've just about got the picture ready to go. I think when you see that, you'll have a better understanding of what I mean by the self serving routing loop. Thanks!

OK, here's the diagram.

We started out with just the leased fiber connections on the back side of locations A thru D. Unfortunately, our leased fiber provider has a history of outages so management asked that we provide a good sized backup pipe. That's where the MPLS connections came into play. They're primarily there to provide connectivity to the MPLS connected sites (remote locations). However, if the leased fiber from Location A should go down, we need all traffic from Locations B thru D to fail over to the MPLS cloud to get to location A. The same is true for the other major locations, the MPLS connection needs to be a backup for the leased fiber. Note that the leased fiber and the DS3 connections do not terminate in the same device. The L3 switches are a combination of 6509s, 3750s, and a 4948. There are multiple subnets at each of the major locations A thru D.

Also, there's a multi-point GRE VPN tunnel from each of the remote locations to a 2811 at one major location. We use the floating static route method to handle traffic to and from the remote locations if their primary connection ever goes down. The remote location has a default route pointing down the tunnel. The VPN router has a set of static routes, pointing back to the remote location's local subnets with the IP address of the remote router's tunnel as the next hop. These static routes have a metric of 111 so that OSPF is preferred. If the route disapears from OSPF the VPN router injects it's static route. This part has worked flawlessly over the years.

Please let me know if you have any other questions about what we've got and/or what we're trying to do. Thanks.

Jon,

Picture a remote location with 172.16.1.0/24 connected to the MPLS Cloud. There are multiple BGP routers at the DC connected to the MPLS.

Router A picks the 172.16.1.0/24 and redistribute this route into OSPF.

Router B has a network statement for this route (I'm assuming based on the route-loop Terry has experienced) and advertises this route back to BGP.

Router A may use this route as Best Path based on the BGP attributes hence causing the loop.

We need to eliminate Router B from advertising 172.16.1.0/24 back into BGP and the most scalable way of avoiding this would be with redistribution with route-tagging.

I guess you haven't come across those redistribution nightmares from the INE labs on your CCIE studies yet?

:)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: