cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF not included in Image

andrew.luke
Level 1
Level 1

I am currently using a 24 port 3750 as a core switch hooked up to an ASA 5520 firewall. I am upgrading the switch to a 48 port 3750. Currently I am using OSPF on the switch and firewall to share routes. I started configuring the new 48 port to replace the old 24 port, but when I tried to turn on OSPF it told me the protocol was not included in the image.

1) How do I obtain an image that does have OSPF?

2) How do I load that image onto the new 48 port?

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Andrew

1) You need to use the IP Services images to get OSPF protocol support whereas you have the IP Base by the sounds of it. There is a charge to go from IP Base to IP Services.

2) Have a look at this link which will get you started -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_44_se/configuration/guide/swiosfs.html

Jon

Interesting. When ordering there wasn't an explicit option for the type of image. I guess we got it with our old 24 port but not the new 48. So I have to purchase an image upgrade or use a routing protocol that is included in the IP Base image. Thank you Jon.

Andrew

If you are decommissioning the 24 port switch when you add the new 48 port switch then you may be able to just transfer the IOS from one to the other.

I'm not sure of the legalities of this, you may want to run it past your Cisco var.

Jon

The legalities are quite plain. There is a software license agreement that should come with the software and that you agree to accept its terms and conditions every time that you load software from the Cisco site. Here is part of what it says:"General Limitations. This is a license, not a transfer of title, to the Software and Documentation, and Cisco retains ownership of all copies of the Software and Documentation. Customer ack nowledges that the Software and Documentation contain trade secrets of Cisco, its suppliers or licensors, including but not limited to the specific internal design and structure of individual programs and associated interface information. Accordingly, except as otherwise expressly provided under this Agreement, Customer shall have no right, and Customer specifically agrees not to:

(i) transfer, assign or sublicense its license rights to any other person or entity, or use the Software on unauthorized or secondhand Cisco equipment, and Customer ack nowledges that any attempted transfer, assignment, sublicense or use shall be void;

additional details can be found here:

http://tools.cisco.com/legal/cnaren/DisplayDocServlet?DocId=366310&DocType=html&MimeType=text/html&Location=null

If Andrew was the upgraded software on the new switch then leagally he needs to purchase a software upgrade.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: