Views
Helpful
Replies

unity connection 7 - user and template Fresh install

PAUL CHEN
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Does anyone know why on a fresh install of uc7.02 I can't add the user templates after creating a user or vice versa.

There are only 2 users for testing purposes.

The error message is :

The alias has already been assigned to another object in this VMS location

I get this message regardless of the sequence.

Import users shows nothing even though the phonesystem is associated with the pub and sub.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi -

Not sure if I understand your problem correctly, but I can address the create or import user process in Unity Connection. User templates are only used as the user is being created or imported. Once the user exists, you can change class of service or edit user configuration using Bulk Edit tool. The default user template can be edited, even renamed, but not deleted. We created new user templates, in our example, for Integrated messaging users with IMAP, TTS, VUI and then created another template for voicemail only users - just PCA and VUI. I actually edited the names of the default user templates installed with the header "DO NOT USE". To import users from CSV, you select the csv file to use and at the same time, select the required user template. As with Unity, the alias for a user, user template, class of service, call handler, etc. must be unique. You might run Subscriber Information Dump on your UC system to check the existing alias names. Please let me know if I have misunderstood your specific problem, especially so we can help further. I have run version 7.0(2) - 7.1(2) without template problems.

Ginger

Hi Ginger,

Thank you for your reply. I think I was confused as to how users are created and imported in UC7.

On a fresh UC7 install , I tried importing users by clicking on the import users link but I could not even see a single user from Callmanager 7.

Please tell me how to fix this.

Next thing was that I created 2 users in users and then attempted to create 2 user templates with the same alias or username.

That is when I see the error message that "this alias can't be created because this is assigned to another object in this vms location" (presumbably the user object in - User config ?)

How do I customize a template for a particular user if I can't create the template ? I suppose you use the COS ?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi -

Don't try to create user templates with the same alias as users - this won't work. Here is the process:

- Create COS first - set the permissions you want to allow for users that will use this class of service - "Integrated Messaging Users COS"

- Create user template next. Use a name for the user template like "Integrated Messaging Users - IMAP, TTS, and VUI". For this user template, select the COS you just created and modify any user settings that should be applied across all users imported with this template - such as voicemail password, greeting and message length, switch integration etc.

- Either Create new user by using the Add user in SA and select the template OR Import user selecting the template.

To be able to import a user into UC, you have two options:

Integration with CUCM - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/user_mac/guide/7xcucmac100.html

Or integration with LDAP - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/user_mac/guide/7xcucmac105.html

You need to configure one of these options for importing users.

Hope this helps. Ginger

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: