cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP Redistribute Statics into BGP between Data Centers

8rsanders
Level 1
Level 1

I have two Data Centers that are connected via EIGRP and I am about to add another connection between the two DC with a BGP AVPN MPLS network. I redistribute all my 3rd party static IP's out my main DC and also redistribute them out my backup DC via floating statics. This works fine but now that I am adding the AVPN backup network I have a problem. It appears that as long as my EIGRP OC3 is up between the DC's then everything works as normal but when I lose my EIGRP OC3 and all routing is being learned Via BGP then my the Backup DC is putting the floating statics in the routing table and not the static routes in my Main DC.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle to DC's connected via BGP but advertising static routes at the main DC and floating static routes at the backup DC so that all routes will always prefer the main DC static unless the Main DC goes down, then it will advertise out the floating statics?

2 Replies 2

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

If I understand you correctly you want to prefer the BGP routes on your backup DC instead of the floating static routes that are already defined there. Am I correct? If that's so, can't a simple administrative distance manipulation do the trick?

I must admit that I am not completely clear on what is your problem. It would be helpful if you posted your current routing tables from both main and backup DCs and the routing tables after turning off the OC3 link and describing what is incorrect in those routing tables.

Best regards,

Peter

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

On the backup DC, you can create a route map and set as-path prepend on those statics so remote sites will prefer the main DC.

ip prefix-list STATIC permit [list statics here]

route-map AS_PATH_PREPEND

match ip address prefix-list STATIC

set as-path prepend [your local AS] [your local AS]

router bgp xx

neighbor x.x.x.x route-map AS_PATH_PREPEND out

HTH,

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: