Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.0: Inventory Collection error= RICS0001:Internal Error,unable to proc

mssnider
Level 1
Level 1

I've gotten the following error when running Inventory Collection;

RICS0001:Internal Error,unable to process the collected data from the device.

Does anyone have any idea what this really means? When I see Internal Error, I assume it's a LMS issue, not something wrong on the device config (snmp, telnet access, etc).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

A reboot of the server should not be necessary. Based on the last error I saw, there was a database issue. It could be that the database is periodically crashing, causing daemons to lose sync. If that were the case, simply running:

/etc/init.d/dmgtd stop

/etc/init.d/dmgtd start

Should resolve the problem without a full reboot. I can say that some Sybase bugs have since been identified and fixed in the version we're using in LMS 3.2.

Something else you might try if you start to see the same issues again is to try restarting ICServer alone:

pdterm ICServer

pdexec ICServer

We have also seen some memory issues with ICServer which we have corrected in LMS 3.2. If you find that works, you can contact the TAC to get the procedure for increasing ICServer's max heap size.

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It could be an LMS issue or a device issue. Post the IC_Server.log as well as the show ver from this device. Exactly what version of RME do you have?

Here is the output from show version on the device;

Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 8.0(4)7

Device Manager Version 6.2(1)

Compiled on Sun 05-Oct-08 00:14 by builders

System image file is "disk0:/asa804-7-k8.bin"

Config file at boot was "startup-config"

kyashlandscddc-fw1 up 64 days 1 hour

failover cluster up 64 days 1 hour

Hardware: ASA5520, 512 MB RAM, CPU Pentium 4 Celeron 2000 MHz

Internal ATA Compact Flash, 256MB

BIOS Flash AT49LW080 @ 0xffe00000, 1024KB

Encryption hardware device : Cisco ASA-55x0 on-board accelerator (revision 0x0)

Boot microcode : CN1000-MC-BOOT-2.00

SSL/IKE microcode: CNLite-MC-SSLm-PLUS-2.03

IPSec microcode : CNlite-MC-IPSECm-MAIN-2.05

0: Ext: GigabitEthernet0/0 : address is 0017.9527.4db8, irq 9

1: Ext: GigabitEthernet0/1 : address is 0017.9527.4db9, irq 9

2: Ext: GigabitEthernet0/2 : address is 0017.9527.4dba, irq 9

3: Ext: GigabitEthernet0/3 : address is 0017.9527.4dbb, irq 9

4: Ext: Management0/0 : address is 0017.9527.4dbc, irq 11

5: Int: Not used : irq 11

6: Int: Not used : irq 5

Licensed features for this platform:

Maximum Physical Interfaces : Unlimited

Maximum VLANs : 150

Inside Hosts : Unlimited

Failover : Active/Active

VPN-DES : Enabled

VPN-3DES-AES : Enabled

Security Contexts : 2

GTP/GPRS : Disabled

VPN Peers : 750

WebVPN Peers : 2

AnyConnect for Mobile : Disabled

AnyConnect for Linksys phone : Disabled

Advanced Endpoint Assessment : Disabled

UC Proxy Sessions : 2

This platform has an ASA 5520 VPN Plus license.

Serial Number: JMX1029K0FC

Running Activation Key: 0xc82cda74 0xd84a4790 0x0c22c504 0x88dc6078 0x4b3e8288

Configuration register is 0x1

Configuration last modified by cwsi at 03:40:21.582 EDT Thu Aug 27 2009

We are running RME 4.1.1

Which directory is the IC_Server.log located under?

NMSROOT/log.

I'm attaching the IC_Server.log file. Thanks,

What is the IP address of this ASA?

This is the primary FW, it's IP is 10.241.73.211.

I don't see this ASA in the IC_Server.log at all. Re-run the inventory collection job for the ASA, then as soon as it fails, post the IC_Server.log.

I ran the inventory collection again, see the attached word doc for screenprint and I'm attaching the IC_Server.log again.

It looks like there is a problem with this device in the RME database. Try removing this device from RME, then re-add it.

I've deleted and re-added, I'll check status tomorrow morning. Thanks...

Inventory collection for my ASA is still reporting the same error. I checked some of the other inventory collection jobs and it appears as though this problem is more widespread than I realized. I'm attaching another screenprint showing lots of other devices with this same error.

The RICS0001 error is generic. The real details are in the IC_Server.log. Post the new log. Is this server integrated with ACS?

Well, I decided to reboot the entire server. I've noticed in the past few months, whenever a job hangs or something just isn't working as expected, a reboot usually fixes it. Which is true in this case also. I rebooted the server, retried the inventory collection job and it was successful this time!

This has been such an issue for us (needing to reboot the server), that our unix admin wrote a script to reboot the server twice a month.

My assumption is that we're managing so many devices (4466), it keeps LMS so busy that these issues are inevitable?

How should I close this conversation? My issue is resolved, so I can mark it as such...

A reboot of the server should not be necessary. Based on the last error I saw, there was a database issue. It could be that the database is periodically crashing, causing daemons to lose sync. If that were the case, simply running:

/etc/init.d/dmgtd stop

/etc/init.d/dmgtd start

Should resolve the problem without a full reboot. I can say that some Sybase bugs have since been identified and fixed in the version we're using in LMS 3.2.

Something else you might try if you start to see the same issues again is to try restarting ICServer alone:

pdterm ICServer

pdexec ICServer

We have also seen some memory issues with ICServer which we have corrected in LMS 3.2. If you find that works, you can contact the TAC to get the procedure for increasing ICServer's max heap size.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: