CCENT Certified! On to CCNA!

Unanswered Question
Sep 1st, 2009

I was really surprised; the practice exam from Boson was WAY harder then the actual exam was. Maybe I just got the easy questions. :) Anywho, I gave myself two months from getting the Network + cert to taking the CCENT exam. I read the book in the first month and studied the last. Do you think the ICND2 exam is much harder? I'm considering giving it 3 months instead of two so I don't stress myself out. I work full time and go to school full time. Also, I don't work in the field; I'm desktop support, although definitely advanced. What do you think? Three months or two? Or maybe even longer?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
compsolv Tue, 09/01/2009 - 12:04

Well - set a goal - let's say two months, and then adjust as necessary as you begin your preparation.

We are currently giving away a free CCNA audio bootcamp if you feel that might benefit you. It can be found in iTunes by searching for INE.

Best of luck in your prep and let us know if we can help you in any way!

- Anthony Sequeira

CCIE #15626

sking2009 Tue, 09/01/2009 - 14:47

Well, when I set a goal, it's pretty much final; I sign up for the exam... hehe.

You think it can be done in 2 months of self study?

compsolv Wed, 09/02/2009 - 05:14

Yes indeed! I think it is possible.

Especially with the amount of carryover from ICND1 to ICND2.

Anthony Sequeira

CCIE #15626

sking2009 Wed, 09/02/2009 - 07:57

Awesome! Thanks for the insight. :) I'll sign up for the exam for mid November then! It will be funny if I get it; I'll be more certified then some of my instructors in college. :) I'm already looking forward to breezing through the routing and switching class next mod. :)

Treedroppings Mon, 09/14/2009 - 17:51

Congratulations! I, too have just passed CCENT. I took the test at Noon today and I got a 901. I am due to take ICND2 on mid-November, and I am stoked. I am going through a Learning Partner and they have some lab equipment and experiments as well as the Cisco courseware on their web-site. I used the Official study guide and it seemed to fit the bill.

I have no job experience, though, so am going to have to start at the bottom. The machining industry is rather slow, so I am definitely looking forward to a new career in the internetworking industry!

unixdayjob Tue, 10/20/2009 - 06:35

Can anyone confirm or deny whether or not configuring and verifying RSTP is on the ICND2 exam?

I have conflicting information about this. If it's there, I need a different book (my Exam Prep book talks about RSTP but then says, 'configuring and verifying RSTP is not a CCNA topic, it's in CCNP').

I don't want to spend time studying for something that isn't going to be on the exam. But, if there's a good chance that it'll be there anyway, I'll get a better book.

sking2009 Tue, 10/20/2009 - 10:20

Through the 11 of 17 chapters I've read so far, I've seen no mention besides a very brief general description in the STP section.

unixdayjob Tue, 10/20/2009 - 14:36

alright, that's pretty much what I was looking for. If you come across RSTP configuration, please post here.

I almost bought the Cisco books, but it's a boring story to tell.

unixdayjob Thu, 10/29/2009 - 07:24

In both my Exam Prep 2ndEd and my new Exam Cram 3rdEd (both CCNA), RSTP is talked about extensively and is quizzed enough to need to care about it. We don't seem to need to know how to configure/verify RSTP, but we need to know a lot about it. Which isn't a big deal, really, as RSTP and STP have a lot in common, and, STP is totally, completely 'fair game' for the CCNA.

I guess if you didn't know that STP and RSTP were very similar...

This Discussion