Helpful
Replies

Topolosy Service

georgeef1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I took the time to layout my topology map and saved it. It was fine for

about 3 weeks and now it is gone? How can retrieve the map I had? The one that shows now has all device layed on top of one another.

Please check.

Thanks

8 Replies 8

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The map files are stored as XML under NMSROOT/campus/etc/users/USERNAME. If these files become corrupt, you would need to pull them out of a known good backup, and copy them back to this directory. Note: loading a background image into Campus can cause the map layouts to become corrupt.

Thanks jclarke,

Is that the only way or can there be a setting somewhere that after 30 days removes all?

I do not use a background and this has happened before.

I will restore from last week

-Thanks

No, there is no periodic thread that purges map data. The map data should be persistent. Other things that can mess up the map are reinitializations of the ANI database. If the device IDs change, then the saved map will have no meaning.

Thanks jclarke,

A single ID can change it?

Can you tell me why all devices are stacked on top of each other and not just spread all around?

Please advice

One device ID change wouldn't do it. An unknown device would simply appear connected to the rest of the map by a long line (probably showing the device near one of the corners of the map). What is more likely, given the clumping, is that the XML files became corrupted (i.e. are no longer well-formed XML).

Hi Jclarke,

Thanks for all the information.

We restored a week back and still bad.

I will have to rebuild again.

I create all as admin. Can that be the problem?

Is is normal to CWLMS?

-Thanks

No, many customers create maps as admin, then copy them to all users. The best advice I can give is once the map is good, copy out the XML files just so you have a light-weight, good backup.

Thanks jclarke,

A single ID can change it?

Can you tell me why all devices are stacked on top of each other and not just spread all around?

Please advice

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco