cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NoSuchInstance

vwolgel12
Level 1
Level 1

Attempting to add banner via NetConfig in CiscoWorks. Keep getting: ERROR:RME_CDL1031: transport session to device failed for input string "NoSuchInstance". Does this mean there is an unknown character or space somewhere in the banner...this banner can get copy/pasted to routers w/no problem. Thanks

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This could point to a problem with RME attributes for this device, or a deployment issue. Post the job log for this job under NMSROOT/files/rme/job/NetconfigJob/JODIB.

disclaimer: i am newbie...

NMSROOT is the path into which LMS is installed. JOBID is the numeric Netconfig job id. There will be a log file in that directory.

Found it! Attached log for job id 1767.

It looks like there is a problem with your template commands. The NoSuchInstance error comes when telnet fails, and RME falls back to using SNMP/TFTP to try and deploy the config.

Exactly what are you trying to deploy to the device?

Good question. I was trying to deploy two standard ACL's plus a login banner. When the job started failing I split it up and saw that the ACL change succeeded but the banner login failed and that's when I started to post. I just saw that under Task selector (screen shot attached) that there is a category for banner, and drilling down there is a login banner sub-category. I put in my banner and the job was SUCCESSFUL. Can you point me to a url or tell me why there is a special task for creating banners? And thanks for helping me figure this out.

The banner commands are multi-line commands, and must be deployed accordingly. Your banner must be enclosed within tags. See:

http://SERVER/help/rme/fundamentals/netcfg_MultilineCmds.html

For more details. For banner,s it's better to stick with the built-in templates if you can.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: