cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NoSuchInstance

vwolgel12
Level 1
Level 1

Attempting to add banner via NetConfig in CiscoWorks. Keep getting: ERROR:RME_CDL1031: transport session to device failed for input string "NoSuchInstance". Does this mean there is an unknown character or space somewhere in the banner...this banner can get copy/pasted to routers w/no problem. Thanks

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This could point to a problem with RME attributes for this device, or a deployment issue. Post the job log for this job under NMSROOT/files/rme/job/NetconfigJob/JODIB.

disclaimer: i am newbie...

NMSROOT is the path into which LMS is installed. JOBID is the numeric Netconfig job id. There will be a log file in that directory.

Found it! Attached log for job id 1767.

It looks like there is a problem with your template commands. The NoSuchInstance error comes when telnet fails, and RME falls back to using SNMP/TFTP to try and deploy the config.

Exactly what are you trying to deploy to the device?

Good question. I was trying to deploy two standard ACL's plus a login banner. When the job started failing I split it up and saw that the ACL change succeeded but the banner login failed and that's when I started to post. I just saw that under Task selector (screen shot attached) that there is a category for banner, and drilling down there is a login banner sub-category. I put in my banner and the job was SUCCESSFUL. Can you point me to a url or tell me why there is a special task for creating banners? And thanks for helping me figure this out.

The banner commands are multi-line commands, and must be deployed accordingly. Your banner must be enclosed within tags. See:

http://SERVER/help/rme/fundamentals/netcfg_MultilineCmds.html

For more details. For banner,s it's better to stick with the built-in templates if you can.