Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cannot connect E1 to SDH network via ONS 15305

Hi,

I have 3 ONS 15305 in a SDH ring. I connected three routers with ONS via E1 ports. but i can only connect them in a point to point basis. eg. i connected R1 with ONS1 and R2 with ONS2 and i did a cross connect between SDH and E1. I am able to ping the otherend routers. but the case becomes critical when i connect another ONS in the network with another router. pl help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Glad to see you can at least get it to ping!

I would have thought that the spanning tree on 305 switches would have prevented a loop. Check to see if it is active using the link below:

<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/optical/ps2001/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00808bdd76.html#wp1040198>

Should your last SDH connection in your previous post's list:

ONS1 wan2/14 <-> ONS3 wan2/14

really be

ONS2 wan2/14 <-> ONS3 wan2/14?

Are the SDH circuits protected or unprotected? Are they set-up as revertive or non-revertive?

HOpe this helps!

View solution in original post

30 Replies 30

viyuan700
Level 5
Level 5

"but the case becomes critical when i connect another ONS in the network with another router"

Did you insert the 3rd ONS between 1 & 2. If yes then did you make connection in new ONS?

If you want to form a ring Don't make point to point circuit instead made protected circuit. So if your the ONS 1-OnNS 2-ONS 3-ONS 1 are connected like this and if u create a protecetd circuit. Protected circuit will be helpful suppose ONS1-ONs2 link is down but will be reachable via ONS 3.

Tried to make a protected circuit. but i think i am missing something. could you help me out plz.

Can,t help with how to config kind of questions.

Do you have time to explain about what have u have tried till now maybe you are missing some step or some other technical thing.

I have 2 port STM1 card, 8 port E1 card, 8 port Ethernet card in each of the three ONS 15305. I also have 3 routers each with one e1 port and integrated AIM/ATM.

1. I have connected the ONSs' in a ring.

2. I have also connected three routers each having an e1 card with the first e1 port of the ONSs.

now the problems.

1. if i plug out 1 FO from a STM1 port / one STM1 port gets disabled, the data flow stops. not a single router pings but the e1 ports are up.

2. same thing happens when i plug out / disable one e1 port from the router / ONS. No data flows from anywhere to anywhere. here the alarm led glows in the e1 port of every router.

i also need to know if i can provide redundancy / protection, if one link connection breaks (say ONS1-ONS2) with only two STM ports in ONS which is already used for the existing ring.

Few clarification ,

2 port STM1 card means you have 2 pair of Tx & Rx.

Plug out 1 Fo from STM 1 port means you are plugging out both Tx/Rx cable or ONLY 1 cable

From your explanation looks like that either you have connecetd 3 ONS in Linear topology or There is no protecetd circuit.

IF there is no protecetd circuit and you pull STM cable your router will not ping.

See if your connections are like this

1st Tx/Rx of ONS 1 connected to 1st Tx/Rx of ONS 2

2nd Tx/Rx of ONS is connecetd to 1st Tx/Rx of ONS 3

2nd Tx/Rx of ONS 2 is connecetd to 2nd Tx/Rx of ONS 3

If your connections are as per above then create a protecetd circuit (see manual how to create protecetd circuit) for a E1 between ONS 1 & 2, ONS 2 & 3, ONS 1& 3. You have to selecting E1 port where you are connecting your Router.

If you have connecetd 3 router as explained above and their are 3 protecetd circuit, then this is a redundant setup. You dont need anything else.

If above is working fine and you pull an FO you should be able to ping.

Let me know if you need any further technical detail.

Viyuan,

I think the problem is you cannot interconnect three routers, each having one E1 interface).

In order to interconnect the three routers, you would need either the following:

Option #1

R1 to R2

R2 to R3

Option #2

R1 to R2

R2 to R3

R3 to R1

Option #1 requires one E1 interface on R1 & R3, and two E1 interfaces on R2. We can ping each router, but R1 & R3 need to pass through R2. If we create protected circuits on the 305s, then it is resilient for a cable cut.

Option #2 requires two E1 interfaces on each router. We can ping directly between each router. If we create protected circuits on the 305s, then it is resilient for a cable cut.

The other option would be to interconnect the Routers using Ethernet interfaces between the 305 and the router. Then circuits could be created between the 305s to form a protected ring. I have never set-up a 305 but looking at data sheet, the 305's Ethernet cards have layer 2 capabilities so you should be able to connect the Ethernet cards in a ring topology over VC-12 circuits. capabilities

let me know if this is making any sense.

Tom

A diagram attached with two interconnection options.

Thanks Tom.

Now i am trying to establish the ring via ethernet. but could not get to connect the routers via EoS. I have changed the concatenation to VC12 for WAN. I also did a WAN to SDH mapping for all the 50 channels. Made sure that the WAN channel number is same in all the ONSs' but could not figured it out what it could be.

and i checked for both Lcas and softlcas bidirectional.

pl help.

"Now i am trying to establish the ring via ethernet"

If you are trying to form ring using one ethernet prot at all 3 places then even with ethernet this system will not work.

This is not the way ring works in SONET/SDH. YOu can create ring between 2 end point like Tom has made,

select 1 ethernet port at ONS1 and select 1 ethernet port at ONS 2. Then this ring will be ONLY for circuit from ONS 1 to ONS 2.

Similarly you have to create circuits from other using different ethernet port or E1 port. Like ONS2 to ONS 3 & ONS 1 to ONS 3.

This way your individual circuit is redundant through SONET/SDH if you pullout cable the things will works without a problem as protection time is less than 50ms, much less than the routing protocol detection time.

Check how you have made connections if not done the way above then things will not work.

You can try one more thing create point to point circuit from ONS 1 to ONS 2, ONS 2 to ONS 3 and ONS3 to ONS 1. This way you have 3 Point to point links and you router can learn route from different way if one is broken. BUT in this way you cannot have the switching time of 50ms which SONET/SDH offers. Now for redundancy you are relying on routing protocol which ever you are using, so the convergence time will be as per the routing protocol used.

Having a hard time explaining because I have never worked hands-on with this product so I don't know the user interface and can't play with it.

I've attached another diagram as to what I want the network to look like. I can't seem to follow the user guides to truly understand how to accomplish set-up: One E100 LAN port to E100 card's internal switch to two WAN ports ; one WAN port connecting to each of the other two 305 node's E100-WAN-8 card (same config).

The circuits connecting the WAN ports can be protected using SNC for highest availability.

I hope what we are providing is helping not confusing you.

Good luck.

Thanks Tom,

I missed the point that there are only 1 E1 card in all routers. With one E1 port at 3 places he cannot make SDH ring those will be just 3 point to point connection and certainly didn't mean that.

Even with Ethernet port the things will not work as there is some other feature which is used in such situation. Have to check 15305 have that capability or not.

ATM card use some subinterfaces so u can use the same interface from making many circuits but i think then it has to terminate to a ATM switch not over E1.

thanks vishwa,

To be very specific, i am facing problems creating P2P Ethernet over SDH liks. my connection is

Router <-> ONS <-> ONS <-> Router

but i am nor able to ping from R1 to R2 even when i did a WAN to SDH mapping.

I explained in detail the various parameters used in the previous post. anything left that i need to check?

Few things may sound silly here but sometime you make those so just check few points here,

1. When you map WAN port to STM 1 card of ONS 1(since there are 2 STM-1 card)check it is mapped to correct STM 1 port which is connecetd to ONS 2.

ONS1- STM -1 card 1 - STM -1 card1-ONS 2

ONS1- STM -1 card 2 - STM -1 card2-ONS 2

Sometimes it is possible you have connected to wrong port.

2. You can check you are mapping to same E1 at both ONS 1 & 2 (If mapped to E1 number 1 (VC 12) at ONS 1 and then on ONS 2 also use E1 (VC 12)number 1)

Sometimes you map to any E1 which also is not going to work.

Dont use LCAS etc as you dont need that just create the simplest EOS bidirectional circuit possible.

After these precautions. provide physical loop at different point to find the problem.

Like you can first loop ONS1 Tx to Rx Optical cable if you are able to ping then ONS 1 is working fine . Remove the loop connect to ONS 2.

There are soft loop in SDH boxes which you can check to see if it is reaching till ONS 2.

Finally make a physical loop for Etherenet port at ONS 2 and see if you are able to ping. Then your things should work

a long process but will tell you where exactly the problem is.

Thaks viswa. i will check now and get back.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco