Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP and HSRP

vinoth.kumar
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

In our back bone router we are running an BGP session with the router 7206 NPEg2

but since the

5 minute input rate 327763000 bits/sec, 624238 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 239875000 bits/sec, 591271 packets/sec

is approximately near to 350Mb

so now we have put an taken an secondary BGP session and try to push some traffic in other router

our problem whether we can run IBGP and HSRP on the same router because as i know there will be some flapping on the network

can u suggest how to go head with this

thanks in advance

1 Reply 1

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The HSRP and BGP can basically live side by side and one will not influence the other. The HSRP presents a virtual IP and MAC address to clients that are configured to use the virtual IP as their gateway. Routing protocols, however, disregard that IP address and propagate their routing information using real IP addresses. In this sense, the HSRP and BGP are independent.

The only issue I am aware of right now is is the one with CPU load. Adding a new process on a loaded router further increases its load. While I think that the HSRP is a simple mechanism that consumes only little resources, you should test whether the CPU load does not rise inappropriately after you deploy it. Personally, though, I believe it will work.

Best regards,

Peter

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card